Thread: Surprised by FLV Palyer 3.0 installation package

Thumbs down Surprised by FLV Palyer 3.0 installation package

I have used FLV Player for some years now. I really like the app. I just downloaded and attempted to upgrade from 2.xx to 3.0. I was shocked at the number of 3rd party software packages you are forcing users to install when they run the install app. There is no option to un-select any of these apps or plug ins. I can understand you need to find ways to make money from third party apps and certainly the process of offering third party apps as OPTIONS is quite common. However, I have never seen anything this blatant. Why force users to install and then have to uninstall these apps and plug ins? I will not upgrade until these apps are either removed or an option to install them is added. In fact, this experience is going to force me to look for an alternate player.

In addition, the installation program left FireFox and FLV Player 2.xx inoperable, with a missing .dll file. They both required re-installation. This whole experience with your 3.0 upgrade has in my opinion, been very unprofessional.

Paul Christensen

Default Re: Surprised by FLV Palyer 3.0 installation package

We are pleased to offer FLV Player to you for free. During the install process you are faced with a few offers that you may accept or decline. You'll also see an option to place icons for other offers on the desktop. You can de-select that option and no additional icons will be placed on your desktop. If you choose to decline all offers and de-select the icons option, only the FLV Player will be installed. This process allows us to continue offering FLV Player for free.
    Regarding the other issue-I have not seen that before nor am I able to duplicate. I have both the ol version and Firefox installed and they continue to work without an issue.

I will attempt the install again, but I never saw any option to choose to not install any of the apps which were presented on any of the install windows. I will report back.

You can "decline" all the cr@pware but this is ridiculous. I think it was 6 separate packages.

I'd rather pay a few bucks or have an option to use another FLV player like VLC

If that IS possible, I can't find any way to configure it

Thumbs down Re: Surprised by FLV Palyer 3.0 installation package

I used to respect the Applian company. Offering a free product to those who have paid for other titles only to find that it is loaded with optional installations that Applian knows full well people will just click "Accept" on is disingenuous at best. It really shows what they think of their customers.

We think a lot of our customers. That is why we do offer this program for free. The way the program does generate money is if people do use the other programs but we do make sure that you have the option
    to decline when installing as we want all of our customers to be happy. Do contact us at technical support if you do have an issue as we would be more than glad to assist. Thanks.