Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RVC5 Freezes computer

Unhappy RVC5 Freezes computer

Hi

I'm having trouble with RVC5, it's randomly freezing my computer during recording of webinars and movies etc. For example I was recording a 100 minute webinar a couple of days ago and it froze at the 56 minute mark (the audio made a strange sound for a few seconds and the computer froze). I tried to record the webinar again this time it froze after 15 minutes. (Note: the video was only a small percentage of monitor screen).

Also tried to record a TV program, similar result, first time froze after a few minutes, second time froze after 25 minutes. (approx. 50% of monitor screen). - All very frustrating.

Settings -

Aud Bitrate - 256.
    Vid bitrate 12000, 25 fr/sec.
    Vid format MPEG-2.
    Disable vid accel - tick

Max size 8000MB
    Rec time 04:00:00

Rec option Record vid - tick
    Rec vid - tick
    Keep on top - tick

Have tried tinkering with the settings - no difference. Also uninstalled and reinstalled program.

Comp details:-

Windows 7 64 Bit
    AMD Athlon(tm) x 2,(Dual Core) 250 Processor 3.0 Mhz, 8G Ram. Set for best performance

Looking forward to a resolution of this problem - thanks

Ian
    Last edited by IanJE; 12-04-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional info

Default Re: RVC5 Freezes computer

Hi Ian,

To get the best quality video with Replay Video Capture - try the following:

1. Go to Settings, and make sure you are using the MPEG-2 video format. Also, you may want to click on "Recommended Settings" at the top and select the most fitting option according to your pc configuration.

2. Try recording from a smaller video window by resizing your player to 1/4 of your screen, or no more than 480x640 pixels. This won't affect the video quality (since video is scaled UP from smaller sizes to fit a full-screen picture). This will require less computer power to capture, which will make for smoother videos.

Let me know if this makes a difference.
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Hi Jeff

Thank you for your reply.

My settings are listed in my initial posting i.e. MPEG-2 plus the size of the webinar screen would have been less than a quarter of my screen.

Ian

See if it works better with windows media format. Each computer is different so if something doesn't work with one format try another.

Thank you for your reply.

* Having same problem as OP. Have used RVC on this computer for 2+ years with no problems. Was working fine 10 days ago. I was offered to download a new version, I assume RVC5, so I did. The "freezing" problem began immediately and will not go away. I have tried every suggestion I've found on the Applian Forums, plus a lot more. Played with virtually every parameter on the settings menu. For my source I've used different browsers: Firefox & IE. Tried recording from numerous sources: web streams, wmp, both of my video editor/display packages.

* Example: I set RVC to record a 90-minute source being downloaded real-time. The download looks and sounds fine from start to finish. But the resulting RVC file is always the same: Starts with good audio & video. After 15-20 minutes the video begins to lag the audio. A few minutes later the lagging video becomes severely chopped, capturing about one frame per second. A few minutes later the video freezes completely. Result: all 90 minutes of audio is near-perfect. But video goes from perfect > good > lag > chop > permanent freeze. I rarely get even 20 minutes of usable material

NOTE: When I monitor the source video there is NO problem with it. Problem is only with the RVC output file. And it happens nearly 100% of the time.

* SO HOW do I revert back to my previous RVC version, which worked perfectly? I uninstalled the new RVC version and reinstalled RVC from my original 2009 RVC disk. But the reinstall doesn't give me back my "old" version. I get a version with the "Home - Show Markers" toggle, which my "old" version did not have. Is Applian automatically "updating" my RVC when I install it from my 2009 SW disk? Is there some way for me to get the EXACT version that worked perfectly from 2009 until a few days ago?

Sorry for the long post but I want to provide as much info as possible. I'm now in a world of hurt on a video contract deadline and I need a sure-fire fix ASAP.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Last edited by kevinabb; 03-24-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: more typos

The various versions are on our download page. go to that and scroll to the bottom. Thanks.

Thanks, Cheryl. I reverted to RVC 4.1 and that fixed my audio glitches. Video is still broken. All is fine until between 00:20:00 and 00:21:10 when video suddenly and permanently freezes. I get almost exactly 20 minutes of fine A/V. After that the file has fine audio, but the frozen video frame stays on-screen.

I've disabled all sleep modes, screen-saver and power-saver modes, etc. Other than installing the new RVC version then uninstalling and reverting to 4.1, the only change I've made to my system recently is installation of Win Vista Service Packs 1 & 2. Any chance they have a conflict with RVC?

Again, thanks for getting me to this point. Any help getting past the 20-minute video freeze will be much appreciated!

A few questions to maybe help out with our video freeze issues:

- My Windows Vista and RVC 4.1 are both on my C-drive. I write the RVC output files to an external (USB-2) drive. Could it somehow help RVC's perfromance if I write the output files to the C-drive?

- Are there recommended min/max virtual memory sizes when using RVC? Could playing with VM numbers, even moving VM from internal to external drives, possibly help?

RVC has been a great friend to me and I hate to give up on it, but this situation is eating me alive. I'm willing to try anything reasonable to get back to functionality.

Screenn capture is very power intensive. I would always do a fresh boot prior to doing any long recording. Also, do try and save it on your main drive. You can always move it. We are working on a new update and hope to have it ready for release shortly. I'm going to see it this week and it is supposed to be amazing. It might just take care of your issue.