Thread: Book marks in audio books

Default Book marks in audio books

[EDIT] not sure which sub forum is right so will try here.

I've just bought an abridged book which comes on 8 CDs with 5 to 8 tracks on each.

I want to put it on my ipod as an audio book. So what I have done so far is this:-

First rip the CDs so each track becomes an *.mp3 file (with each CD having its own directory)
    Next use the Join manager to combine each CDs mp3 files so I land up with 8 combined mp3s (instead of about 50)
    Then use converter to change the 8 mp3s to m4a files
    Then for a reason I cant remember change each filename extension from m4a to m4b (ignoring all Vista's dire warnings)
    Then import into itunes and lastly sync to my ipod.

My question is: how to combine the 8 mp3s into one audiobook with 8 bookmarks instead of 8 audiobooks? I believe there is a maximum time of about 4 hours for an audio book so it may not be possible.

Default Re: Book marks in audio books

If they are the same format, the same bitrate, etc. then you would be able to join them. They would not have bookmarks, however.

Thanks for reply Cheryl

mp3s combine I know but not m4as. Can you give me a clue of the difference between the following file choices in "Converter"? m4a and iphone audiobook?

The two formats use different codecs based on the format. It is a personal choice as to which one you prefer.