Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Replay Media Catcher 3.11 locks up my browsers

Me, too. IE, Firefox, or Chrome on XP. This is extremely annoying.

Lee

I am trying to record an audio stream from NPR.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2008/10/18/[/URL]

When Media Catcher is running, the audio will not play. I've tried it with Firefox, IE, and Safari. Same thing. When I quit Media Catcher, the stream plays fine. I've emptied cache, restarted browser, restarted computer. Same thing. Has Adobe pulled a fast one on us? Need a fix!

Thanks.

Ditto with the same issues of locking up ie and firfox. Unfortunately, I have tried the suggested solution in the thread without much success. Is there a section on the site where older versions than than 3.01 are available that might work until the issue is cleared and would my activation number for the new version work for an older one?

SD

LOL on the proposed fixes, way to understand the problem..

Stays locked up even after closing both Firefox and RMC, until a reboot. Obvious likely candidate is RMC is locking whatever service it is using to tap into the stream. Closing both and stopping then restarting the service will likely fix it without a reboot, haven't ID'd the service yet though..

It's the internet, seeing the end of anything isn't guaranteed, even the end of the start. RMC has told the service to listen, it listens, sees the start of something and never sees the end of the start due to starting something else and never getting the completing data for the first start. Wait a few extra seconds and I can switch streams without a problem. Click another stream a second or two early before it finishes that initial info and it locks up tight.

Even if the fault of waiting forever is technically in the service, RMC is using that service and started it listening, so responsibility still lands squarely at RMC's feet to make sure it doesn't listen forever for something that isn't even coming and locking everything up. RMC is a data handling application, no amount of bad data or an unanticipated condition (like no end to the starting info) should ever allow it or anything it is using to enter a state that it won't come out of..

Likely some very thin coding somewhere, waiting forever for some end condition that isn't guaranteed to happen. Nothing is ever guaranteed to happen even if it almost always does, and nothing should ever be simply coded to wait endlessly for anything. But it's happening somewhere with RMC or something RMC is using.

You can add me to the list of people having this problem. Browser runs fine, but as soon as I start up RMC, it slows to crawl, sometimes killing my wireless connection completely. VERY frustrating.

Maybe a rollback to a previous version should be made available in the interim?

Okey dokey, folks, I found a fix that worked for me.

Apparently my particular problem (not sure if this is the case for everyone) was Adobe Flash Player 10. The recent upgrade seems to have played havoc with RMC.

So here's what I did:

1/ Uninstall your Adobe Flash Player completely and reboot your system.

2/ Upon reboot, go to http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...4266&sliceId=1 and download VERSION 9.

3/ You'll get a zip file, which has a bunch of updates for Adobe Flash Player 9. I have Windows XP so I went into the 9r124 folder and ran the flashplayer9r124_winax file.

4/ After installation, close your browser windows and reopen them.

This solved the problem for me.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by zanefan View Post
    Okey dokey, folks, I found a fix that worked for me.

Apparently my particular problem (not sure if this is the case for everyone) was Adobe Flash Player 10. The recent upgrade seems to have played havoc with RMC.

So here's what I did:

1/ Uninstall your Adobe Flash Player completely and reboot your system.

2/ Upon reboot, go to http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...4266&sliceId=1 and download VERSION 9.

3/ You'll get a zip file, which has a bunch of updates for Adobe Flash Player 9. I have Windows XP so I went into the 9r124 folder and ran the flashplayer9r124_winax file.

4/ After installation, close your browser windows and reopen them.

This solved the problem for me.

Aaron
    Weird..I would be interested in knowing if this works for others that have posted here..

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

This fix worked for me

Awesome, thanks, this did the trick for me. I can also now record streams that require login/age verification (e.g., Underworld - Evolution).

Thanks,
    navels

Quote Originally Posted by navels View Post
    Me, too. IE, Firefox, or Chrome on XP.
    Quote Originally Posted by navels View Post
    Awesome, thanks, this did the trick for me. I can also now record streams that require login/age verification (e.g., Underworld - Evolution).
    Interesting. Flash v 9.0.124 was released long before Chrome and the flashplayer9r124_winax installer is specific to IE only. Another installer is required for the Chrome and Firefox plugins.