Thread: Recording Sirius radio from Mic using Replay AV

Default Recording Sirius radio from Mic using Replay AV

So the very lovely XMTuner solution seems to have ended. Since I'm not home to record, I think my best option is to plug my Sirius radio into my sound card and use Replay AV to record that.

I'm really pretty good at Replay AV, but I cannot figure out how to make this work. I have my radio plugged into my computer...I can hear the audio though my speakers. I set up Replay AV to record by "Capture by Recording Audio Output (Speakers, Line IN Mic, etc.)" and chose External Input (Line in or Mic) from the drop down.

It seems to record, but there's nothing there (hence no resulting file). I am using Realtek HD Audio (I think that's the sound card - though I have two listed in my system including an ATI HD device).

I'm thinking the RAV should be able to record this if I cna hear the sound.

Any advice?

Much thanks!!

Default Re: Recording Sirius radio from Mic using Replay AV

One other thing...I did try "Test Methods" under Audio Recording Methods and it said "No sound was detected on any available Audio Recording Method - Please update your sound card driver. The only available Method the drop down gives me is the Replay AV Audio Driver.

Quote Originally Posted by roooo View Post
    So the very lovely XMTuner solution seems to have ended. Since I'm not home to record, I think my best option is to plug my Sirius radio into my sound card and use Replay AV to record that.

I'm really pretty good at Replay AV, but I cannot figure out how to make this work. I have my radio plugged into my computer...I can hear the audio though my speakers. I set up Replay AV to record by "Capture by Recording Audio Output (Speakers, Line IN Mic, etc.)" and chose External Input (Line in or Mic) from the drop down.

It seems to record, but there's nothing there (hence no resulting file). I am using Realtek HD Audio (I think that's the sound card - though I have two listed in my system including an ATI HD device).

Any advice?

Much thanks!!
    Try from the drop down list "General Streaming Audio" That is what works for me

Quote Originally Posted by roooo View Post

Any advice?
    How does the cabling work on this? Please be specific as I will run out and buy the stuff. Does the cable need to plug directly into a port in the sound card? I'm woozy from the effort in failing to get things to record the last few days. I would guess you're saying the Sirius radio would stay logged in all the time, so it would act as the XM Tuner (Ha Ha, but not as good it pops in and out because of the satellite.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Try from the drop down list "General Streaming Audio" That is what works for me
    I don't see why this would work as it sounds like you need to record speakers. But I'm happy to learn.

Anyway Thank You, and I hope someone will come up with a solution. Or a replacement for XmTuner.

Hi...

I got a great response from Cheryl in tech support, which I'm sharing below. As far as cabling, it's pretty simple. I have an old Sirius Sportster radio. I have the antenna in the window (we get decent, though not perfect satellite reception here in the Philly suburbs). I bought a cheap male/male 3.5 mm connector cord (you might even have one or eight lying around the house or in a box somewhere) and connected the "line out" from my radio to the "mic" jack on my computer/sound card. That was the easy part.

The more challenging part was getting Replay AV to recognize the sound from my sound card (the problem that led me to start this thread). Here is what Cheryl wrote and it has been working for me for two days (I'm very happy, as I too was "woozy" from trying to figure out a solution!):

"Hi

If you use Internet Explorer for your main browser you may need to turn your user account control all the way down. You do this in the Control Panel under User Accounts-User Accounts-Change User Account Settings.

Recording from the line-in in can be tricky. In order to record from the Line-In you need to first see if Windows 7 will let you record from your sound card. In many cases you won't be able to do this.

1. First, see if you can enable an audio recording line. These are the steps:

http://www.applian.com/support-vista.php#sc

The same for Vista and for Windows 7

2. Try to to enable line-in or microphone. Then plug the device that you want to record from into your enabled line (line-in or microphone)

3. Next in Replay AV, click on File-Settings, then the \"Sound Mixer\" tab. In the \"Sound Card Driver to Use\" drop down, pick sound card that corresponds with the line that you enabled earlier.

4. Now set up a recording in Replay AV using the top menu. Click \"Record\" - Then \"Record Audio from Line-In\" (or microphone if that is the line you are using)."

Basically the same for Windows XP? I'm looking around in the FAQs but I'm once again woozy mainly from work this time.
    Thanks!

No idea about XP. Maybe write directly to tech support.

I, too, am about ready to go purchase both a sound card and an XM radio to try out the solution which your contributor "roooo" has outlined. Is there anything I should try or check out prior to making this investment? Can you suggest a particular sound card or radio which has been successful? Finally, will the method which "roooo" describes allow me to schedule a recording at a time when I am not at home? I guess I missed it, but wanted to know from roooo if, after you received the help from Ms. Wester, were you then able to schedule and make a recording successfully?

Thank you so much. You have been very generous with your time in outlining a solution to this new challenge.

Question: anyway you can use the sirius app for ipad and use that to play and record thru computer. does the app require you to login every hour or so like the new encrypted player does?