Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6/17 - Am I the only one with issues?

Default 6/17 - Am I the only one with issues?

Friday, I sleep in an hour or so, get up to check the recording which should be in progress, and nothing. Attempt to manually start the recording using XM Tuner which is restarted and properly logged-in to the demo Sirius account and...nothing. Check a few other channels (17, 4, something else I can't remember now), and...nothing. Log in through the (ugh) SiriusXM flash-based tuner, and no problem.

Is this is transient problem on my end, is it caused by an issue with XM Tuner (is SiriusXMStreamer currently working?), or is it a universal issue with the old streams?

Default Re: 6/17 - Am I the only one with issues?

Sirius/XM Streamer is not working either.

Yup, I'll confirm that neither xmtuner nor siriusxmstreamer is working on both the xm feeds and the sirius feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    Sirius/XM Streamer is not working either.
    I was afraid of that. I'm trying to record from the "stock" SiriusXM player, and it's sounding pretty terrible this morning, too...lots of pops, clicks, and other digital artifacts.

You'd think after all these years SiriusXM would be capable of sending out some reasonable Internet stream, wouldn't you?

(SiriusXMStreamer's developer tweeting that it's failing everywhere; "may have finally killed the legacy streams.")

Edit: TheEndlessDev in a reply to my suggestion it might be SXM incompetence noted the app is not only logging-in, but receiving a stream URI, none of which work. "Might be temporary, but I'm not holding my breath."
    Last edited by CharlieSummers; 06-17-2011 at 07:26 AM.

ok....I'm freaking out now. How am I going to record Howard? The only reason I bought Sirius and Replay A/V. I listen to the show on my MP3 player from the day before that Replay A/V *used* to record. Now what??

Anyone know of any other method of recording the stream through the standard Sirius streaming client? Using it somehow looks like our only hope at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by jlatenight View Post
    ok....I'm freaking out now.
    We knew this was going to happen someday. It just happened earlier than we might have hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by jlatenight View Post
    Anyone know of any other method of recording the stream through the standard Sirius streaming client? Using it somehow looks like our only hope at this point.
    Yes, there are a number of apps that can record decompressed audio (what some call, "from the speakers," although that isn't exactly accurate), including Replay A/V (change the recording type to, "Capture by Recording Audio Output"), although I admit I use a competitor's application I find more suited to that particular task. That doesn't, of course, do anything for timing the event (you can't script the flash-based player, so you can't auto-login and change channels), nor for keeping things running longer than the hour-to-hour-and-a-half the flash player will time-out.

I have to admit, though, I simply don't understand why people bother recording HooHoo or the other shock-jocks on their own, since bootlegs of his shows (as well as O&A and the others) are easily available shortly after air. Those of us interested in more...cerebral audio are the ones truly affected by this, since those programs aren't routinely bootlegged and posted to USENET and BT trackers. Apparently those of us interested in more...hi-brow fare don't post recordings. Interesting study for a psychology doctoral dissertation there.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSummers View Post
    That doesn't, of course, do anything for timing the event (you can't script the flash-based player, so you can't auto-login and change channels), nor for keeping things running longer than the hour-to-hour-and-a-half the flash player will time-out.
    I was hoping Applian could get around these issues. That's too bad. Overall I've been happy with Replay. I've come to rely on it to record things while I'm at work. It's far more reliable than recording from the sat receivers with all of their signal dropouts, especially at this time of year. I'll still use Replay for a couple of things like recording from the stream while I'm home to log in and interact with the player before it times out, and some other stuff unrelated to Sirius. We've had to record from the decompressed audio before and I don't really mind the sound quality. It's getting up early to login, checking it every hour or so, and not being being able to play other audio on my computer while Replay is recording that I don't like. I'm actually surprised that Sirius didn't pull the plug on the old streams long before now.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSummers View Post
    I have to admit, though, I simply don't understand why people bother recording HooHoo or the other shock-jocks on their own, since bootlegs of his shows (as well as O&A and the others) are easily available shortly after air. Those of us interested in more...cerebral audio are the ones truly affected by this, since those programs aren't routinely bootlegged and posted to USENET and BT trackers. Apparently those of us interested in more...hi-brow fare don't post recordings. Interesting study for a psychology doctoral dissertation there.
    I never seriously considered downloading from the internet. I am happy to pay for the service. I only turned to Replay out of frustration. I have three radios (two record shows as backups) and on one night of poor weather two years ago, all of the radios kept dropping in and out and it was driving me crazy. I knew the stream was there, but I hadn’t used it much. I found Replay on Google and purchased it. If the sat signal didn’t dropout so much, I would never have even known about Replay, much less purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Timmy View Post
    I never seriously considered downloading from the internet. I am happy to pay for the service.
    I never suggested you shouldn't pay for the service; what I said was, it seems silly for so many people to spend so much time and energy recording the same thing when it's available without all the hassle. Almost everyone here is recording the exact same program. Seems...redundant.

I will be blunt; if The Bob Edwards Show were being bootlegged on the Net, I probably wouldn't be busting my hump futzing with recording the show, worrying about every time SXM throws yet-another-roadblock in my way. (Or maybe I would, h*ll, I'm anal enough.) But it isn't, so I have no choice. Those listening to the shock-jocks don't seem to have that problem, based on this simple USENET search.

Red face Re: 6/17 - Am I the only one with issues?

I am a non-tech and would be every so grateful if one of you could explain to me in simple terms why it is no longer been possible to record Sirius/xm by using the streaming capture option for ReplayAV or a 3rd party tuner. Isn't Sirius/XM still using digital streaming? As long as I can authenticate my right to receive the stream, how come I can't capture it when, it appears, I can record through the sound card. Thank you for your patience.