Thread: Converting FLV video to audio from youtube vs. extracting audio tracks from downloaded FLV files

Default Converting FLV video to audio from youtube vs. extracting audio tracks from downloaded FLV files

I am only converting the FLV to MP3s at this point.

Default Re: Converting FLV video to audio from youtube vs. extracting audio tracks from downloaded FLV files

Quote Originally Posted by DJMCT View Post
    I should add that I am only converting the FLV to MP3s at this point.
    I recommend to extract audio tracks (MP3 to MP3, AAC to M4A or M4B), not convert to MP3. Otherwise you loose quality. Besides audio extraction is much faster.

Default Re: Converting FLV video to audio from youtube vs. extracting audio tracks from downloaded FLV files

I thank you for this post. I am downloading the FLV file from YouTube and converting to MP3. How do I do I directly extract the audo track from YouTube? I did not know that direct extraction was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Dr_G View Post
    I am downloading the FLV file from YouTube and converting to MP3. How do I do I directly extract the audo track from YouTube? I did not know that direct extraction was possible.
    You will need to download the video, and then use MP3 or AAC extraction presets when converting:
    how to extract MP3 and AAC audio from FLV files losslessly (without re-encoding) using Replay Media Catcher 4

Thanks again. I do have RMC 4, but I don't understand the instructions. I will work on it when I have some free time.

Thanks again. I do have RMC 4, but I don't understand the instructions. I will work on it when I have some free time.
    Sorry about that. Just download youtube videos the same way you usually do.

And in the Conversion Settings select

Audio Extraction (Extract AAC to M4A)

or

Audio Extraction (Extract MP3 to MP3)

OK, Thank you again. I can see how to do that, and I will experiment, but I can't this evening.

My default was Apple Audio Book (M4B, AAC, 256 kbps 4800 Hz STEREO)

I am assuming that I have to change this setting everytime I switch from downloading audio to downloading videon. I don't see how to enter both settings as a default.

Also, I am looking forward to understanding the benefits. I have not noticed significant distortion in the default coversion process.

I am assuming that I have to change this setting everytime I switch from downloading audio to downloading videon. I don't see how to enter both settings as a default.
    I usually download videos first. Then I choose conversion settings and drag-n-drop my FLV files to convert them or to extract audio from them. I just like to keep the original videos.

Also, I am looking forward to understanding the benefits. I have not noticed significant distortion in the default coversion process.
    Audio extraction doesn't require audio recompression, so it is much faster and allows not to loose quality.

If you use 256 kbps AAC, you may never ever notice any distortion. But if your original audio tracks are 128kbps MP3 or AAC, by compressing them using 256 kbps AAC, you will get bigger files (probably twice as big as the original files) while you will have some quality loss and spend more time onto this operation.

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    Please post a link to the video and I will try it.
    You are going over and above the call of duty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZITmLJj1DY

Thanks for your help.

When I tried to convert to MP3 I saw the following in the log
    Code:
    Stream #0.1: Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16
    So the FLV file contains AAC audio, not MP3. You need to either extract AAC into M4A or M4B, or convert to MP3. Both work for me in RMC 4.2.4