Thread: Connects to Sling Player stand alone, connects through slingbox.com, but ALR2 won'd connect

Default Connects to Sling Player stand alone, connects through slingbox.com, but ALR2 won'd connect

Hi everyone,
    I'm so incredibly frustrated. I'm using a Slingbox SOLO, and I have no problem connecting through slingbox.com or using the standalone player, but when I try to test connect using ALR2, it won't connect. I've ensured that I am logged out of the players, so that's not the issue. It's not a PRO-HD, so that's not the issue. I have the right finder ID and passwords (remember, I can get in through the other two means), so that's not it. I can't connect using either the Finder ID or the direct connect method.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and more importantly beaten it? Any help anyone could provide would be tremendously appreciated; I know the software has been discontinued, and I know that Applian/Jaksta is working on a new version, but I am concerned that if my system doesn't allow this version to work, a retooled version with a similar engine won't work either.

I'm a desperate man -- I'll try any suggestions, and I appreciate your time.

Dave

Default Re: Connects to Sling Player stand alone, connects through slingbox.com, but ALR2 won'd connect

I'm wondering aloud if the ALR2 program is giving up too quickly, or I guess the proper term would be that it "times out" too quickly. When I use the standalone player, after several seconds of "connecting", I get a "still trying to connect" message, and then it connects. I wonder if ALR2 is not taking that 2nd step, whatever it is, that slingplayer is taking. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Connects to Sling Player stand alone, connects through slingbox.com, but ALR2 won'd connect

Both the Stand Alone and the web browser will connect to the Slingbox without a correct portforward setup. The ALR2 will not connect if the portforward isn't setup. Even on your LAN. I would recommend you check the TCP port forward and make sure it is all setup first. You can do a quick check here if you know what port you have told the Slingbox to use. http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/...or-open-ports/

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonc View Post
    Both the Stand Alone and the web browser will connect to the Slingbox without a correct portforward setup. The ALR2 will not connect if the portforward isn't setup. Even on your LAN. I would recommend you check the TCP port forward and make sure it is all setup first. You can do a quick check here if you know what port you have told the Slingbox to use. http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/...or-open-ports/
    Good morning Brandon and thanks for the reply!! Sorry for the "newb" question here, but am I correct that this port forward check needs to be performed on the computer network that the slingbox is attached to, correct? In other words, the "home" computer needs to ensure that the port forwarding is set and that any firewall allows it to go out, and the "remote" computer, where I am watching the slingbox, needs to have the firewall set to allow the video to come in, but port forwarding is irrelevant, correct?

Thanks again,
    Dave

Right, The port forward has to be setup on the network where the Slingbox is attached. You don't have to set it up at the remote receiving location. You do need to run the setup wizard for the Slingbox where it is located and specify the port you opened for it and receive a 'Success' reply when the setup checks internet viewing.