Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording XM With Unit: Recording with Replay AV from Line-In on schedule

Default Recording XM With Unit: Recording with Replay AV from Line-In on schedule

It looks like recording XM Online is dead. So I got to thinking, why not just plug my XM unit into the line in on my computer, leave it on all the time and just schedule recordings. I hit a snag though, does Replay AV not allow me to schedule line in recordings?

Default Re: Recording XM With Unit

That is dependent on your computer and the sound card and items it has. Also, the newer the system the harder it is to record using line in or a mic.

Is there a list of sound cards that are supported. I would like to purchase a supported one so that I can accomplish this.

I have a Rocketfish sound card now and when I go to schedule a recording in Replay AV right now, no schedule tab shows up. Should this be the behavior of the program if I currently have an unsupported sound card?

If you have Stereo Mix / Wave-Out Mix / What U Hear, you should be able to record from your sound card. If you don't have such an option, but use Windows 7 or Vista, try to use "Replay AV Audio Driver" for recording from your sound card.

Default Re: Recording XM With Unit: Recording with Replay AV from Line-In on schedule

I think that I am fine with recognizing the line in source it is a matter of not being able to schedule a line in recording. A screen cap of the Replay AV "Record Audio" dialog that pops up is attached. As you will see there is not schedule tab as there is in XM, Sirius, etc.

Is this normal?

Default Re: Recording XM With Unit: Recording with Replay AV from Line-In on schedule

1. Go to Shows -> Add show manually
    2. Select the Recording tab
    3. Select "Capture by recording audio output (Speakers, Mic, Line-In)
    4. Chose the following Type "External Intput (Line-In or Mic)
    5. ...
    6. Select the Schedule tab
    7. ...

Yes, but can you imagine how terrible that will sound with the ultra-compression applied to the Sat signal...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSummers View Post
    Yes, but can you imagine how terrible that will sound with the ultra-compression applied to the Sat signal...
    It depends on your audio codec settings a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    It depends on your audio codec settings a lot.
    Sorry, was being snarky about SiriusXM's over-compression on their satellite streams. Have you listened to a Satellite Radio lately? Even their best channels are so over-compressed music is tinny and speech is swishy. And it goes downhill from there.

(*sigh*) I remember XM when even their worst music channels sounded pretty darned good. Now it's all AM radio or worse, and don't get me started on the digital compression artifacts...

Doesn't matter if you store the line-in from a satrad as uncompressed 44k/16-bit, it's still going to sound pretty lousy.

tcupp, how has this worked out for you?