Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't record after Sirius XM channel number change

Default Re: Can't record after Sirius XM channel number change

I am using xmtuner on windows 7. Thank you in advance

I was just passed on this site as a way to at least get around the inactivity time out. I have NOT tested it yet (I only started playing the stream 5 minutes ago). If it works then you can at least do the 'record what I hear' option to record the stations that are not accessible by any other means.

http://mobile.musicdock.com/

It DOES see and play the new XM channels. Hoping it doesn't time out. Also hoping the makers of XMTuner can figure out how to get the stream info and fix their app.

Quote Originally Posted by dyane1160 View Post
    I am using xmtuner on windows 7. Thank you in advance
    A couple of notes on Windows7. One should never run routinely as an administrative user, rather one should run as a "standard" user and only elevate when necessary; that said, most people, because of the way Microsoft sets things up, routinely run as admin accounts, placing their computers at risk. I am going to naively assume the reader is actually running as a "standard" user instead, so take that into account. In Windows7, I installed the UnxUtils in my personal directory's Applications folder (remember, we're not running as admin, so no write access to Program Files), so the path is C:\Users\Charlie\My Applications\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe.

The first difference is the path of the cache file; it's in C:\ProgramData\XMTuner\ in Windows7. Remember that, we'll need it later.

The main difference, though is in the scheduler. You open it in Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System tools/Task Scheduler, and when you do you get a wildly different window than the simple widgets in XP. There are lots of tutorials on the Net on using the Task Scheduler, I'm just going to walk through creating one. Click on "Task Scheduler (local)" on the left pane. Far right pain, you'll see a list of options; select "Create Task..." (not "Create Basic Task..."). Set name as "Touch Cache File" and enter a description if you'd like to remind yourself why you're doing this. In Security options, change the user to an administrative account (you want admin privs here, because...) and select, "Run whether user is logged on or not" since again we want it to run the entire time the computer is turned on no matter what user is logged in.

(Theoretically you may be able to run this as a standard user, but I didn't test this out, so I'd suggest changing to an admin account.)

Before moving on, check the box that says, "Run with highest privileges."

Change tab to "Triggers." Click "New." Select "Daily" and set a time; Recur every one day is default, check the "Repeat task every:" and set to one hour for a duration of indefinitely. "Enabled" should be checked. Click "OK."

Change tab to "Actions." Click "New." Action should be "Start a program." Click "Browse," and find the touch.exe (in my case as I mentioned, "C:\Users\Charlie\My Applications\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe"). In "Add Arguments," insert:

Code:
    "C:\ProgramData\XMTuner\channellineup.cache"
    (In this case, quotes are optional since there are no spaces in the path, but what the heck...)

Click "OK." You may set "Conditions" and "Settings" options if you'd like, but the defaults should be good enough. Click "OK" on the main window, and you should be asked for the password for the administrative account you set the task to run earlier.

You can test that all is working by selecting your newly-created task in the scheduler window and clicking "Run" then check the modification date of the cache file.

Question Re: Can't record after Sirius XM channel number change

Just wanted to check-in as I'm out of the water with Replay A/V and XM Tuner, any idea on how to resolve. I don't get any of the new channels on XM Tuner which then won't let me record any channels that have never previously existed. Can we go back to where it was just Replay A/V and not XM Tuner, what's going on?

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 and all has been work fine since the channel number changes on Sirius / XM.

Thank you for the "Touch" program cogdus. It works perfectly for me the last few days, have it in the schedules tasks every 30 minutes in Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrous1 View Post
    Thank you for the "Touch" program cogdus.
    You're welcomed. ;)

Anyone hear anything about dealing with XM's side of the online disaster? I'm on my second Sirius demo account...

Edit: According to folks at the SourceForge forum discussing XM Tuner, the web-based player at http://mobile.musicdock.com/ is working with the updated channel lineup. I haven't had time to test it out yet, but it may be a temporary solution to the time-out issue for XM subscribers until a more reasonable solution is found...

Edit: Sorry, completely missed refmon's post from two days ago pointing to this website. (*sigh*) Blame old age...
    Last edited by CharlieSummers; 05-10-2011 at 05:00 AM.

I now have a computer configured with replayav to load the musicdock mobile page to the channel I want to record and then recording the audio - its far from perfect but so far today it appears to be working. There is no way to record multiple streams at the same time which to me means there is no 'overlap' when I split the recording - however I can record straight to MP3 without needing to convert from asx to mp3 which speeds up the process.

Again, not the solution I wanted but it works. No word on the xmtuner site from the creators after the channel changes last Wednesday and the creator of the other program we found, SiriusWM6, seems content for now without the XM stuff being fixed.

I just hoped that someone could dissect the musicdock solution to figure out how they were able to get it done. That site doens't have any kind of discussion group that I could find.

It should be possible to block the site that XMTuner is using to update its channel number lineup until this is sorted out using the windows hosts file so it defaults to cache. I'll investigate...

Here's a fix: Try using SiriusXMStreamer instead. It does the same thing as XM Tuner, except the new channel lineup works for the most part.

Yes SiriusXMStreamer http://www.permanence.com/sirius/ was updated last night, but there are a few Sirius channels not working and many XM channels are not working. He sent this update in the interim.