Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't record after Sirius XM channel number change

Default Re: Can't record after Sirius XM channel number change

Thanks, cogdus - FYI, on my Windows 7 box, the channellineup.cache file is located in C:\ProgramData\XMTuner. YMMV.

I have both a Sirius & XM account, was really hoping for an XM solution, but will check this out as a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by codgus View Post
    :::: FOR SIRIUS USERS ONLY, SORRY XM ::::
    I edited the 'channellineup.cache' file located in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner'.
    Which this morning seems to work, but frankly doesn't make much sense to me. The URI XM Tuner builds is pretty self-explanitory:

Code:
    http://localhost:19081/streams/196/high
    ...is the old URI for XM Public Radio. Simply changing the channel number (between "stream" and "high") to 205 did not work yesterday with my demo account to Sirius, but does this morning. (The modified cache file presents this same URI.)

Once I get this morning's recordings through Sirius, I'll shut down the tuner, delete the cache file, re-enter my XM credentials, and check to see if channel 121 now works without modifying the cache file.

Still, I thank you for the altered file, since whatever the reason, it and the demo Sirius online account buys me a week to get the XM side straightened out. Appreciate it much!
    Last edited by CharlieSummers; 05-05-2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Posted before finished. Oops.

At this point the Applian folks might want to edit the blurb for Replay AV from "Record XM™ and Sirius™ radio feeds" to "Record Most XM™ and Sirius™ radio feeds"

I don't see a solution coming any time soon.

I did but Replay AV specifically for the XM recording and for a channel I now can't receive but I feel I have gotten my $$ worth.

At this point I'd be happy for a way to load the web based player and just keep it from timing out - anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by refmon View Post
    At this point the Applian folks might want to edit the blurb for Replay AV from "Record XM™ and Sirius™ radio feeds" to "Record Most XM™ and Sirius™ radio feeds"
    They might want to remove it entirely, since Replay A/V can not currently record SiriuxXM online feeds. It can record (some of) the streams provided by XM Tuner (and possibly SiriusXMStreamer and other apps), but it can't grab SiriusXM online streams directly. (Like you, I'm not complaining and I agree I've gotten my money's worth from the app; but I am no longer recommending Applian apps as a solution to others, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by refmon View Post
    At this point I'd be happy for a way to load the web based player and just keep it from timing out - anyone?
    Yeah, that's a royal pain, isn't it? Yesterday I spent three hours coming into my office any time I thought about it and changed the displayed channel just to get the three hours of The Bob Edwards Show recording done (I used...another commercial application to record the audio to uncompressed WAV, one I find much more user-friendly than the Applian products for this particular application). It was...um...less than fun - a bit like poking a bear every half-hour or so just to keep it riled. ;)

OK, I'm as PO'd as the next guy, but I don't want to take it out on Applian at this point (I'll reserve my vitriol for later .

I can record anything my PC plays through my speaker using ReplayAV. I just can't schedule a channel change and record it.

Yes, it unsophisticated, but as long as I'm at my desk at 2pm central, I can record the Jay Thomas Show by using the SiriusXM tuner and setting ReplayAV to record speakers.

I'll put up with this for a little while to give folks a little time to work on a fix. But if this drags on, I'll be voicing discontent as well.

Had an interesting problem this morning...

Yesterday, I used the channellineup.cache posted by codgus along with a demo Sirius online account to record The Bob Edwards Show. This morning, the recording failed...when I checked the channellineup.cache file, I discovered it had been overwritten by XM Tuner. So I replaced it with a fresh copy of the one codgus posted, restarted the service, and...it replaced it again. I tried locking (setting read-only) the file, and that caused the service to die.

I was finally able to convince it to leave the file alone by opening it in Wordpad, adding then removing a space, and resaving the file - this updated the timestamp, convincing, I believe, XM Tuner that it was a recently-generated file. To hopefully prevent this from happening in the future, I downloaded the Windows version of the unix command "touch," and set up a scheduled task to touch that file once an hour (this was much more cumbersome in XP than it would have been in Win7).

Has anyone else experienced XM Tuner overwriting a replaced cache file?

I am seeing the same thing happen, that XMTuner overwrites the file provided by codgus.

I was able to modify the file with a text editor to get everything to work on XM, with the proper channel lineup for XM, by simply changing the file codgus provided to have XM instead of Sirius in the first line of text.

I tried to further edit the file (the format is obvious) to allow Channel 121 to appear, but no luck there.
    Last edited by dj_paige; 05-06-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Cool Re: Can't record after Sirius XM channel number change

*JUST ADDED SEE BOTTOM*

:::: FOR SIRIUS USERS ONLY, SORRY XM :::: NEW!!! Updated file again, all channels with a satellite for an icon have been renamed to channel SIRIUS 900 so they are at the bottom and again can be ignored. (more info: removing them made the file fail)

I edited the 'channellineup.cache' file located (WinXP SP3) in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner'. While XM Tuner is CLOSED, back up your copy by right clicking and choosing to copy it and then rename copy 'channellineup_old.cache' and download and copy >> this one << to your folder. Then re-open your XM Tuner and the channel line up should be all good.
    After a few days with this I discovered another 'glitch', seems the old channel list doesn't like to stay permanently gone. It may have something to do with the auto channel update that's constantly trying to update, and we thought it couldn't, but apparently sometimes it does. So, here's what I did.

1) Your edited 'channellineup.cache' file has to be backed up and used as the static copy of your channel list. I called mine, 'channellineup2.cache' (I know, I know, hold the applause for my genius, over confident meaty breasted boob that I am... thhhht! )

2) Make a shortcut to the XMTuner from your 'C:\' root. This file will be known to the system as 'XMTuner.lnk'.
    (Short story, using an actual reference to the .EXE in a batch file will cause a command window to stay open in this process, and I used the .LNK to avoid that. <- if you understood that great, if not, it's okay because you really don't have to.)

3) Now, here's the batch file you need to use to launch >> XMTuner << from here forward. You'll need to unzip it and place it in the 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner' folder.
    Here's what it does & what the code looks like:

ECHO OFF <- Normal batch command to stop code from flying in the window
    tskill XMTuner /A <- stops any XMTuner(s) running currently
    copy channellineup2.cache channellineup.cache <- Copies channels from backup to current
    C:\XMTuner.lnk <- restarts the XMTuner
    EXIT <- Exits the batch file

4) Now make a shortcut to the 'XMTunerStart.bat' in your start up group of program files.

5) for those of you who are concerned with it occuring in the middle of the day. I made a 'Scheduled Task' to handle refreshing at 1:00 PM each day. As for me, this is when any morning shows I listen to are finished recording by then. Or, after I get about three hours of music from my favorite radio station, and it sends to my email so I can listen to it on my iPhone, I am now ready to record again in the afternoon. Maybe you have a simular desire or setup going on and this helps, maybe not, but I thought I'd add it anyway. Cheery bye!

more info: 'Scheduled Tasks' are located in the 'Control Panel', you may have to do a little research to learn how to use this correctly.

*JUST ADDED*
    Based on the whole TOUCH brought up by CharlieSummers, I did a little research and made this to run every half an hour in my scheduled tasks. Looks like it works great and will stop unwanted updates. Thanks Charlie!

File: >> TouchChannel.bat << Unzip to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner' folder and setup your Scheduled Task.

Last edited by codgus; 05-07-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSummers View Post
    Had an interesting problem this morning...

Yesterday, I used the channellineup.cache posted by codgus along with a demo Sirius online account to record The Bob Edwards Show. This morning, the recording failed...when I checked the channellineup.cache file, I discovered it had been overwritten by XM Tuner. So I replaced it with a fresh copy of the one codgus posted, restarted the service, and...it replaced it again. I tried locking (setting read-only) the file, and that caused the service to die.

I was finally able to convince it to leave the file alone by opening it in Wordpad, adding then removing a space, and resaving the file - this updated the timestamp, convincing, I believe, XM Tuner that it was a recently-generated file. To hopefully prevent this from happening in the future, I downloaded the Windows version of the unix command "touch," and set up a scheduled task to touch that file once an hour (this was much more cumbersome in XP than it would have been in Win7).

Has anyone else experienced XM Tuner overwriting a replaced cache file?
    I just posted something addressing this issue, that works good in XP... so far. I'm interested in the "touch" program you talked about, is this working?

I just posted something addressing this issue, that works good in XP... so far. I'm interested in the "touch" program you talked about, is this working?
    Yep. I've intentionally restarted the service frequently (I'm using the service version of XM Tuner, not the application, so your excellent instructions wouldn't work for me anyway), and the timestamp/contents of the cache file is not being updated by the app.

Background (skip if in a hurry): touch is a standard feature of un*x that allows one to update the timestamp of a file. I have no idea who thought of it, but I can tell you anyone who uses any flavor of un*x (linux, FreeBSD, whatever) from a command line uses it relatively frequently (note touch can also create a file if it doesn't exist, which is what I tend to use it for most). When using Windows, I tend to use the command prompt relatively frequently, too (programs like streamripper are command-line), but end up using Windows Explorer to create new files.

Forgive the step-by-step, since I'm assuming some people who will try this are not used to digging this low into Windows and may be intimidated; those who are more advanced may find some of this tedious.

Anyway, first download the UnxUtils from sourceforge. Since I'm using XP (under Windows7 this would be a little more difficult), I extracted the files under "C:\Program Files\UnxUtils\" creating the nested folders in the .zip file. ("Normal people" might consider placing just the touch.exe somewhere in their PATH, but then most "Normal People" don't know what their PATH is set to. ;)

Since I'm running Replay A/V and XM Tuner on an XM machine (Windows7 has a completely different task scheduler - if running Win7 and you need help, post here and I'll write up something for it), the cache file resides at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner\channellineup.cache" - since touch is a command-line application, you need the complete path. Create a new Scheduled Task using the Scheduled Tasks Control Panel (the wizard is wildly crippled, but it can be used); when asked what to run, "Browse" to the location of touch, which as I set it up is at "C:\Program Files\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe" (like I said, you can always copy touch.exe to someplace within your PATH). Don't worry much about setting the schedule right now, you can just select "Daily" and pick a time (make sure you enter an administrator's username and password), but definately click the "Open advanced properties" checkbox before you hit Finish.

Here comes the bothersome part; if you want something to happen every day more than once/day, you need to go into the Settings tab and add them. We'll assume just for argument you set the time in the Wizard to 12:01AM Daily, and you really want it to run every four hours. The Schedule tab will show you this time twice; once near the top and once in the middle. At the top of the tab, click the "New" button...this will duplicate your first entry...change the time in the middle of the tab to 4:01AM. Click "New" again, change to 8:01AM. Again, and 12:01PM. Ad nausium. (Hey, stop complaining...I entered 23 of the d*mned things so it would update every hour!)

You need to make one more important change before closing this window, though; switch back to the Task tab, and in the Run: field, add the location of the cache file to the end of the command. Again, using mine as an example, it currently reads:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe"
    Those quotes are important, since there's a space in "Program Files." Behind it, you need to add a space, then the full path to your cache file, inside quotes...my complete command reads:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner\channellineup.cache"
    Make sure "Enabled" is checked at the bottom, click Apply, then OK. If you get any error on either button (usually a username/password error), fix it. Make sure you check the properties of the cache file a few hours from now to make sure it's being updated properly.

(*sigh*) I realize this all sounds difficult, and for the initiate I suppose it might be pretty intimidating, but it's really pretty simple stuff which only sounds difficult in the explaining.

Edit: I should mention there is no reason to shut down the service (or, presumably, application) when touch'ing the file. Unlike replacing the cache file, simply touch'ing it underneath the process should be harmless.
    Last edited by CharlieSummers; 05-07-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Additional Info