Thread: Version 4 - An Improvement - not!

Thumbs down Version 4 - An Improvement - not!

Just upgraded from version 3.98 to 4.00. I was hoping that some of the shortcomings of 3.98 were finally resolved, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. A nice new feature has been added and that's the addition of album art except that there doesn't appear to be any way of stopping it! I don't particularly want the album art but the only way I can find to remove it is by editing each track individually and selecting 'delete art'. How difficult would it be to put a tick box in settings to switch this 'feature' off? A bug in 3.98 was that only updated the ID3v2 tag with the genre. Is it fixed in v4? No, except that now it only updates the ID3v1 tag and not the ID3v2 tag?????
    Is auto tagging any better? Again no, as a test I streamed (from Spotify at 320kbs) one of Frank Sinatras most popular albums from 1954 - 'In The Wee Small Hours'. Of the 16 tracks it recognised 11 but of those 11 it got the track numbers wrong on 6 of them. Isn't it about time someone at Applian addressed this abysmal tagging problem. After all, the website blurb states 'Tags songs with Title, Artist, Album, Genre - Automatically!' It doesn't mention that it is only capable of doing it for less than 10% of tracks.
    If Applians programmers have time to change the artwork and colour scheme for no apparent reason then surely they've got time to make the actual software work as claimed.
    As an afterthought, why can't I resize the form. It's far too small and I'm forever having to scroll the ListView control to see all the tracks and columns.

Default Re: Version 4 - An Improvement - not!

We feel that the program is an improvement. It does have the option for art as most people requested it. It also has the win audio driver. It is for people that have a hard time recording with the audio driver-still the preferred method. If the music is not in the database then it can't be tagged. Personally, I have about a 90 percent tag rate when using programs such as Pandora and Rhapsody. If you would like some assistance please do contact tech support as a log file and additional information will be needed.

Default Re: Version 4 - An Improvement - not!

I wonder if compilation albums throw the music tagging out, is it picking up the track info from the compilation album or from the original albums ?
    Personally I have found V4 is a more reliable than the previous version(s) that I have used. I would say around 80 - 90% of the music is being tagged correctly on my set up(s).

Smile Re: Version 4 - An Improvement - not!

Quote Originally Posted by HRH View Post
    Just upgraded from version 3.98 to 4.00. I was hoping that some of the shortcomings of 3.98 were finally resolved, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. A nice new feature has been added and that's the addition of album art except that there doesn't appear to be any way of stopping it! I don't particularly want the album art but the only way I can find to remove it is by editing each track individually and selecting 'delete art'. How difficult would it be to put a tick box in settings to switch this 'feature' off? A bug in 3.98 was that only updated the ID3v2 tag with the genre. Is it fixed in v4? No, except that now it only updates the ID3v1 tag and not the ID3v2 tag?????
    Is auto tagging any better? Again no, as a test I streamed (from Spotify at 320kbs) one of Frank Sinatras most popular albums from 1954 - 'In The Wee Small Hours'. Of the 16 tracks it recognised 11 but of those 11 it got the track numbers wrong on 6 of them. Isn't it about time someone at Applian addressed this abysmal tagging problem. After all, the website blurb states 'Tags songs with Title, Artist, Album, Genre - Automatically!' It doesn't mention that it is only capable of doing it for less than 10% of tracks.
    If Applians programmers have time to change the artwork and colour scheme for no apparent reason then surely they've got time to make the actual software work as claimed.
    As an afterthought, why can't I resize the form. It's far too small and I'm forever having to scroll the ListView control to see all the tracks and columns.
    I personally think Replay Music is a great programme and for the money you can't ask for much more, especially for a one off payment. I use it regularly and never really come up with any problems, it is reliable and tags most of my tracks. Any other software which tags would generally throw up the same results if they are using Gracenote or similar. It is easy to use and Applian are always making improvements, keep it up guys.
    You will always find someone to have a moan.
    SA