Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RMC 4.1.6.0 recording YouTube clips in 2MB chunks

Default Re: RMC 4.1.6.0 recording YouTube clips in 2MB chunks

high! i am user like you folks and this place is a USERS' forum (and not an official support forum). you get official (and immediate) support thru the support ticket system. the RMC support techies (e.g. Shellie, Debbie) dont stop by here too often as you might have been noticing but they do respond to support tickets quickly (within 24-48hours).

youtube seems more complex (they use different streaming protocols!) than i had previously assumed. please could you post (again) 2 affected testpage url's (youtube video link!), so that i can try (again) to download it with *my* version of RMC?

We'll go thru this together. I am wiv you.

minipc- Youtube is always changing things. I was watching all videos perfectly fine with Firefox until a month ago when something changed. Only about 5% of Youtube vids work for me using Firefox for the last month. Searching around I noticed alot of talk about Youtube experimenting with switching to a new platform which Firefox will no longer support because it would require them to buy a 5 million dollar license to legally put that in the Firefox program. So I have been using Internet Explorer for the last month without any problems until a week ago. There are a whole bunch of people on the Youtube forums complaining about this last problem that started for everyone in the last week.I think you are right when you said it might depend what country or area you are from,because I can't imagine that everybody around the world on Firefox, IE, and Opera are having these problems. Just trying to watch the vids without using RMC has become a major problem.
    Last edited by diesel1120; 04-07-2011 at 09:28 PM.

HEY ALL - UPDATE ON THIS ISSUE:

Looks like Youtube has come out with a new parameter range=0-2097151.

This used to be expressed as len and begin parameters, which we currently strip.

What causes the player to do this I have no idea. None of my browsers do it for the video the user was downloading - Coca Cola Zero - The Date.

Our programmer will code to remove this in the next release. I do NOT have an ETA on this fix, but it is a high priority fix.

Thanks for your patience :-)
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

The update should be available pretty soon. But until then you can try to download webm videos from youtube. To do that:
    1. Go to www.youtube.com/html5 and enable HTML5 videos for youtube.
    2. Download the latest version of Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera, all of them support HTML5 webm videos.
    3. Go to Tools -> Settings -> HTTP Download Tweaks and add the following Content Type/File Extension
      Code:
      video/webm 
      webm

After changing settings hit the Stop recording button, then hit the Start recording button.

Many popular players support webm videos. For example, you can play them with freeware VLC player:

If you want to test a beta version fixing the problem, you can download it from
    http://downloads.jaksta.com/release/...RCATSetup4.exe
    http://downloads.jaksta.com/release/...Setup4-x64.exe

It might be better to wait for a stable release.

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    If you want to test a beta version fixing the problem, you can download it from
    http://downloads.jaksta.com/release/...RCATSetup4.exe
    http://downloads.jaksta.com/release/...Setup4-x64.exe

It might be better to wait for a stable release.
    stream-recorder, many thanks for both your suggestions, though i thought i would wait and see what transpired from the support ticket request i made. it took a few days for them to acknowledge my request and some further days to confirm that there was indeed a problem with youtube that their developer would attempt to address.

yesterday, i finally received a suggestion from them to download and test the version of rmc (4.2.0.0) that you now refer to above, and i have at last had an opportunity to give it a try. there is some good news and some not so good news.

the good news is that the version 4.2 now manages to capture complete clips from youtube, instead of the 2MB chunks it was capturing recently. however the not so good news is that is captures a series of copies of the complete clips. so for instance, whereas before version 4.1.6 would capture the coca-cola zero advert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJud4cv-0vI as a series of 2MB chunks, of which only the first partial fragment would play, now version 4.2 captures 2 complete copies of the clip both of which are playable. the longer the clips, the more copies are captured. so definitely an improvement, but not quite a complete solution, yet, perhaps? i have added my findings to the ticket and await a response.

thanks again for both your suggestions. if all else fails, i shall definitely give your html5 web video suggestion a go.
    Last edited by minipc; 04-15-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarification that the number of duplicate copies can be greater than two

Quote Originally Posted by minipc View Post
    now version 4.2 captures 2 complete copies of the clip both of which are playable. the longer the clips, the more copies are captured. so definitely an improvement, but not quite a complete solution, yet, perhaps? i have added my findings to the ticket and await a response.
    Go to Tools -> Settings -> Download Settings -> Site Specific
    and see whether you have the "Stop multiple downloads of the same video from Youtube" checked.

Go to Tools -> Settings -> Download Settings -> Site Specific
    and see whether you have the "Stop multiple downloads of the same video from Youtube" checked....
    thanks, stream-recorder, that was the first thing i checked (pun intended) it makes no difference

Quote Originally Posted by minipc View Post
    thanks, stream-recorder, that was the first thing i checked (pun intended) it makes no difference
    Please submit a support ticket with your log.

Please submit a support ticket with your log.
    stream-recorder, i thought i already had?

in the interests of full disclosure, when i was given the link for the 4.2.0.0 download, i tested it on all the youtube examples i listed previously. when i realised they were all being captured as complete clips but multiple times, i confirmed that the prevent multiple downloads option was checked. i tried un-checking it, but it didn't seem to make any difference one way or another. i re-checked the option, and produced a debug log of the coca cola zero ad capture mentioned above, and attached it to a message outlining my findings that i added to my original support ticket. i then added the post above to this thread updating everyone on what progress had been made.

do you mean i should have submitted it as a new support ticket with log? if there's anything else you think i could do that might help, i'd be pleased to hear it. again, thanks for your interest in this problem