Thread: Freerecorder 5 error: The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

Default Freerecorder 5 error: The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

I got an update message on screen to update the toolbar. I updated from the screen below and then got an error message. Anyone know why?

Default Re: Freerecorder 5 error: The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

It looks like this may be a corrupt install. Please un-install, reboot your PC and re-install. Let us know if this resolves the issue
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Default Re: Re: Freerecorder 5 error: The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lenney View Post
    It looks like this may be a corrupt install. Please un-install, reboot your PC and re-install. Let us know if this resolves the issue
    Same manure different day. I don't know how looking at this toolbar you could tell what version you have.

I still get the same error message and even tried installing in XP compatability. No go.

I've tried to install 5 times and I do not see these buttons

Like I've said elsewhere I don't see what the distinctions are between 4 and 5 other than cosmetic buttons.
    Last edited by jshollis; 04-04-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Default Re: Freerecorder 5 error: The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

Still cannot install 5. Any ideas? Any competitor software that installs better? Better support? If I was supporting this product I'd take a little more interest when someone says they cannot install it. If I did not know I'd take the screen shots they gave me and give them a workable solution or I'd suggest another product from a competitor, admit mine was sub par. Sorry for the cynicism but you people just dont seem to take much interest that I am going on 2 weeks on not being able to install this. I uninstalled 4 from my pc and tried with a clean slate. Nada.
    Last edited by jshollis; 04-11-2011 at 08:16 PM.

How much did you pay for the product and its support? Absolutely nothing?! Why do you think that somebody owes you then?

Do you have a clean Windows installation? Probably not.
    Have you tried to contact M$? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by alexthunder View Post
    How much did you pay for the product and its support? .Absolutely nothing?! Why do you think that somebody owes you then?
    Right nothing. People should still support what they create. Look around this site. There's hardly a mention of FR 5. By the way I bought one of their other products and they support it the same way.

Do you have a clean Windows installation? Probably not.
    Are you out of your mind Mr Thunder? Noone would ask a complete Win install to solve this install issue. This obviously has a bug in it and noone is admitting it. The mods don't even chime in. Noone has suggested anything resembling a solution and you come in offering "Do a Windows reinstall". Buzz off

Have you tried to contact M$? Probably not.
    Yes I have-- via their web and they tend to agree that there is a bug in the installer of a product when it displays "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction". I am not the only one who has not been able to install 5. Apparently with the silence from support here they have not solution. Someone though will flitter in here in a few days and offer something else and then not be seen again. Go away Thunder! Rain on someone else's parade.
    Last edited by jshollis; 04-12-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lenney View Post
    It did not. I think there's a bug in your installer.

Quote Originally Posted by jshollis View Post
    Right nothing. People should still support what they create. Look around this site. There's hardly a mention of FR 5. By the way I bought one of their other products and they support it the same way.
    May be some day you will understand how to read sticky threads and what is written in them
    https://forum.applian.com/showthread...stomer-Service

I am not the only one who has not been able to install 5. Apparently with the silence from support here they have not solution.
    Any proof links? You are the only one in this thread.

Yes I have-- via their web and they tend to agree that there is a bug in the installer of a product when it displays "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction".
    This is the way M$ solves all problems in their products. They are always not guilty Their support has always been useless. I've contacted them dozens of times and they have never helped to solve any problem, and most often they don't even admit that the problem exists.

Are you out of your mind Mr Thunder? Noone would ask a complete Win install to solve this install issue. This obviously has a bug in it and noone is admitting it. The mods don't even chime in. Noone has suggested anything resembling a solution and you come in offering "Do a Windows reinstall". Buzz off
    Ok, ok, continue to install as much crapware as you like. The more you have it, the more conflicts will be there. And don't forget to disable an antivirus and firewall... never use them.

Since there are no other users complaining about the same problem, most probably your system needs cleaning (due to malware or due to conflicts of some software). You can ignore this and continue wasting your time at your discretion.

This is my last comment here. Disconnected...

Yes I have-- via their web and they tend to agree that there is a bug in the installer of a product when it displays "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction". I am not the only one who has not been able to install 5. Apparently with the silence from support here they have not solution. Someone though will flitter in here in a few days and offer something else and then not be seen again. Go away Thunder! Rain on someone else's parade.
    Please PM me, i'll give you my email address. I'd like to request that you forward me the email microsoft sent you regarding this error, if you don't mind.

I did a search in google for this error, and found a post from 2 weeks ago saying this about the error:

1) First consider taking the hard drive out of the computer. And doing a off -line antivirus scan to insure your not infected.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...4-6bacd8a397d4

After insuring you do not have a virus or infection.

2) Boot to safe mode and try running sfc /scannow to insure your system files are intact.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/9168...e-ntvdm-error/

3) are you using nis? try the solution presented here (turning off antivirus) And look for support from norton) Just guessing here.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/9168...e-ntvdm-error/

Hopefully this helps you out. If not please post back your results. or mark this as answered. Thanks
    I have to agree with Alex, I'm a microsoft certified (mcsa, A+, network +) and this error tends to be on the M$ side. Feel free to further check on google if you'd like further examples of that exact error message dating back to 2005 and beyond.

I'd very much like to see the email they sent you as well, if you don't mind.

Thank you
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

This is definitely a solution from M$ Instead of using an antivirus from a bootable CD/DVD/flash drive, they suggest to take out your hard-drive and scan it on another computer. Nice suggestion for noobs, especially those ones who use laptops