Thread: (Solved) Can't install/upgrade to 4.1.6 . . .

Default (Solved) Can't install/upgrade to 4.1.6 . . .

I must be missing something.

I have 4.0.19. I am trying to upgrade to 4.1.6.

I have downloaded the software three times because of the problem I am about to describe.

Once I have downloaded RCATSetup4.exe, I try to run it (double-click, "Open," whatever). It gives me a warning/option to download a 64-bit version, which I don't want. So I hit "No." I am then brought back to the Applian site to download the software. . . . If I hit "Yes," of course, I am *also* brought back to Applian to download the software.

I can't get out of the infinite loop!

How do you get the software (RCATSetup4.exe) to actually RUN on your local computer and not send you back to the Applian website?

Thanks!

John

Default Re: Can't install/upgrade to 4.1.6 . . .

I don't really understand your problem. Just download the 64-bit version of the installer and install it.

I need the standard, 32-bit version. I have downloaded it 3 times. I try to run the file I have downloaded and it sends me right back to the Applian website to re-download. I don't need to nor want to download a fourth copy! Nor do I want a 64-bit version.

I'm not sure how to better express my problem. Sorry.

John

No problem. Run a 32-bit version of Windows and use 32-bit applications on it.

Any particular reason why you don't want to use a 64-bit version? I can't think of any...

You were/are absolutely correct! Thanks so much.

Before I was able to get back here to find your answer, I realized (what I had forgotten) that I am on a 64-bit system so the 64-bit software could work. [Why would I forget I'm on a 64-bit system? Because, when I first began using my new 64-bit system a couple of months ago, Outlook 64-bit was causing problems. So I was urged to use the 32-bit version of Outlook 2010. I converted to 32-bit and have had no difficulties. For some reason, I transmogrified the new/replacement 32-bit Outlook into thinking my entire system is 32-bit . . . and so figured I needed to use the 32-bit version of RMC.]

When I downloaded the 64-bit RMC, installation progressed without incident. Very smooth. Thanks.

Curious, though. As I recall, everytime our computer systems have upgraded . . . from 8- to 16- to 32-bit architecture, haven't the new architectures always been backwards-compatible with the smaller-footprint software code? Clearly, you can't run 64-bit software on a 32-bit operating system. But hasn't the reverse been true? . . . And, obviously, Microsoft Outlook 32-bit is compatible with their 64-bit OS. So [at this point it is far more curiosity than practical questioning, but] why would RMC 32-bit not work in a 64-bit environment?

Thanks for figuring out what I was too confused to realize myself!

WONDERFUL! Thanks Stream-Recorder, and brightflash - happy to hear it's now working for you! :-)
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.