Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Catcher 4 problem with large files

Default Media Catcher 4 problem with large files

I'm a new user of this product, so pardon me if this issue has already been covered. A search using all the terms I could think of to cover this was unsuccessful.

When I record FLV files of 1 hr. 20 min. or less they usually record properly, but longer files start freezing up or going out of sync at about 1:25 or so. I've tried the "Fix FLV" feature, using 15 as an adjustment and that makes it worse. 14 is a little better but it's still out of sync, and half the time it still freezes up. I wanted to try the Media Splitter on the files to see if that would help but the Media Splitter doesn't support FLV files. I'm in the process of converting a 1 hr 40 min file to AVI Same Quality now to see if I can split it up and maybe solve the problem that way. Hope it will indeed be same quality and after splitting I can convert it to MPEG2 for CD burning at the original quality.

Meanwhile, if anyone has experienced this problem and was able to solve it in a more expeditious manner I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks.
    Edit:
    I've been working on this some more, and have still been unable to solve my problem. I think maybe this software isn't capable of dealing with large files. For example, the file I downloaded is about 888 MB with a length of about 1 hr. 40 min. I can't see any way to download it in increments, so I have to work with the whole file. When I open the file it exhibits the symptoms I explained earlier, so I use the "Fix FLV" feature with an interval of 14, and that corrects the problem and it plays all the way through correctly. However, after I convert it to AVI for the Media Splitter, the file then shows the same out-of-sync and / or freezing problem after about 1:10 or so. I split it anyway, but the second segment was still the same.
    Last edited by BillyR; 02-23-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Additional information

Default Re: Media Catcher 4 problem with large files

I have many video lectures that are 2 hours and more that were downloaded with Replay Media Catcher. Don't have any audio/video sync problems.

The out of sync problem usually appears when recording live streams. But you should be able to fix duration it by using a correct fps value.

What is the source of your files?

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    I have many video lectures that are 2 hours and more that were downloaded with Replay Media Catcher. Don't have any audio/video sync problems.

The out of sync problem usually appears when recording live streams. But you should be able to fix duration it by using a correct fps value.

What is the source of your files?
    Thanks for your reply. Good to know that this software is capable of handling these longer files, so my problem must be elsewhere.

When you mention "fps" I guess you mean "feet per second," and is that the number you use in the "Fix FLV" feature? Pardon my ignorance, but as I said I'm a new user of this software, and new to dealing with video files. Here's an example of my experience:
    The file I am using is Mahler's Third Symphony from http://www.medici.tv/#/movie/61/ (You have to be a paid subscriber to access this file, I believe). This is a recorded stream. While downloading with Media Catcher it shows the length as 1 hr. 40 min. After downloading it shows the symptoms I described in my earlier post, so when I fix the FLV with a Fix Time of 15 the length changes to 6501 seconds, or 108 minutes. That, of course is 8 minutes longer than the original. When I fix it with a time of 14 the length changes to 101 minutes, which is much closer to the time that showed when it was being downloaded, and to the time posted on the Medici site, which is 102 minutes. So it looks to me that 14 is closer to correct than the 15 that I have seen recommended. In any case, after correcting the FLV to 14 the file plays correctly and sounds good to me. However, when I convert it to DVD NTSC (MPG MPEG 2: Same Quality: AC3) the out-of-sync / freezing of the file during the last 20 minutes or so returns. Same when I convert it to AVI.

Finally, last night I imported the FLV file into Nero Vision 10 just to see what would happen. When I went through the stages to burn a DVD Nero actually converted the file during the process, after asking me whether I wanted to burn it in the PAL or NTSC format (Took over an hour to convert the file and burn it to the DVD, but that was less total time than it takes to convert the file in Media Catcher). The resulting file was good except for some occasional short skips toward the end. I've gone back and listened to the fixed FLV file and the skips aren't there, so I suppose they are a result of the Nero conversion. I'm going to record another one the same way and see if it happens again.

I would still like to be able to split symphonies like this into movements, but the fact that the Media Splitter doesn't support FLV files is a problem. Besides being time-consuming, converting the files to AVI or some other Media Splitter friendly format and then converting them back afterwards may result in a loss of quality that I'm not willing to accept. Don't know for sure yet, since the file corruption issue is still there after converting and I haven't been able to determine if that's the case or not.

Hope all this makes some sense to you, and that you and / or some others can give me some hints on how I can make this software work for me.

fps means frames per second. If 14fps works fine for you, this is good. The same about Nero Vision.

I don't really know much about conversion and how to fix your frame freezing.

The video on Medici.TV uses h.264 video codec and AAC audio codec. It can be losslessly converted to MKV and MP4. When converting losslessly to AVI, I get the following error:
    Code:
    [NULL @ 0x30900b0]error, non monotone timestamps 11 >= 11
    av_interleaved_write_frame(): Error while opening file
    And I don't know how to fix this ffmpeg problem.

FLV, MP4 and MKV are not supported by Replay Media Splitter. But you can edit your videos with freeware AviDemux.

Also suggest the features that you need in the following forum
    https://forum.applian.com/forumdispl...t-New-Features

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    fps means frames per second. If 14fps works fine for you, this is good. The same about Nero Vision.

I don't really know much about conversion and how to fix your frame freezing.

The video on Medici.TV uses h.264 video codec and AAC audio codec. It can be losslessly converted to MKV and MP4. When converting losslessly to AVI, I get the following error:
    Code:
    [NULL @ 0x30900b0]error, non monotone timestamps 11 >= 11
    av_interleaved_write_frame(): Error while opening file
    And I don't know how to fix this ffmpeg problem.

FLV, MP4 and MKV are not supported by Replay Media Splitter. But you can edit your videos with freeware AviDemux.

Also suggest the features that you need in the following forum
    https://forum.applian.com/forumdispl...t-New-Features
    Thanks again. For my part I can convert FLV files from Medici to AVI without getting the error message, but they have the frame freezing problem I described. I'll give the AviDemux software a try, and somewhere there's a solution for the other problems, which I intend to find.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyR View Post
    For my part I can convert FLV files from Medici to AVI without getting the error message, but they have the frame freezing problem I described.
    There is no problem converting indeed. But I tried to use lossless extraction from FLV to AVI and it didn't work.

Default Exact same problem

YES--at between 1:22 and 1:23, my downloaded files go bad. In VLC the video starts going 2x and the audio cuts out; on other players the video goes black and the audio stays fine but you can no longer navigate and the program basically freezes.

HELP!!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by panamaniac View Post
    YES--at between 1:22 and 1:23, my downloaded files go bad. In VLC the video starts going 2x and the audio cuts out; on other players the video goes black and the audio stays fine but you can no longer navigate and the program basically freezes.
    Have you tried to use the Fix Flv tool of RMC 4?

I have--I think it didn't work but let's try it again and I'll let you know ASAP.

Thanks!

Michael

OK, this is almost great--I tried the lower tab of Fix FLV (with 15-second intervals as time stamps) and it totally resolved my problem~~~!!!! BUT....it created a new one-- now there's a stutter in the audio every few seconds. IS that coming from the audio having to be "spaced out" to stay in sync with the video? so would it help if I did a time interval a little lower, like 13?

Very excited because this second problem I feel like will be more easily fixable!

Oh, BTW, I was doing several other things on the comp while running the FLV fix--would that be a problem?

Thanks!!

Michael