Thread: Is there a way to automatically prefix date and time to the file name?

Default Is there a way to automatically prefix date and time to the file name?

Hi
    I wondered if it was possible to prefix the file name of a downloaded file with the date and time? The reason I ask is that if you download a stream from Cam4 it will name it "Free Web Cam - name of cam owner" if on the same day you download again from that same person it will rename the file "Copy of Free Web Cam - name of cam owner" this is great on that day. But when you try to download from the same cam owner on the next day it again saves the new file as "Free Web Cam - name of cam owner". This is a pain as when you are trying to convert and store saved downloads by cam owner it wants to overwrite exisitng file unless you rename them all manually. It would be great to have an option to save the file as "{date} - {time} - Free Web Cam - name of cam owner" etc, I can't see this in the download options unless I'm missing something obvious?
    Cheers
    B

Default Re: Is there a way to automatically prefix date and time to the file name?

as a general fix, RMC4 in its version 4.1.6 has extended File Naming Rules capabilities (see Settings). but in your case, this wont help. currently, the best work around fix is that YOU rename your files with TotalCommander; TC supports automatic renaming after creation date (Note that files have a "Created On"-date/time and a "Last Modified"-date/time.). When you download with RMC4, the creation date (=when the download starts!) is "saved" in the file attributes and later on (=when the download has finished!) the modification date is "saved" too. Most software (file renamer tools, downloads tools, Windows Explorer, etc.) ignore the "Created On"-stamp. As does RMC3.

In TC, select your series of files. then hit Ctrl+M. The "Multi Rename Tool" opens up. Look for the button which says "[=?] Plugin" and choose, for example, "[=tc.creationtime.hms]" as rename mask. The remainder is self-explanatory; i never needed to read the Manual of TC.

good luck

Default Re: Is there a way to automatically prefix date and time to the file name?

Unreal Commander is a freeware alternative of TotalCommander that can be used instead.

i have downloaded UC and installed it (with License). it is the same shortcut ("Ctrl + M") but .. AFAIK UC cannot create filenames based on CREATION DATE/TIME. UC can only create filenames based on LAST MODIFIED date/time.
    UC's multi rename tool is a simplified clone of TC's multi rename tool.

please re-check and confirm :P