Thread: Replay Video Capture / Linux /Ubuntu _FAIL !

Default Replay Video Capture / Linux /Ubuntu _FAIL !

I hope someone can tell me if it's possible to install Replay Video Capture on a Linux / Ubuntu operating system. I have tried twice using "WINE" installer and all I got was a non responsive desktop shortcut. I have a dual boot computer {windows vista} and {ubuntu 10.4} so this is not a major problem for me it just means I have to revert back to windows to use my favorite applian product namely Replay Video Capture....Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Replay Video Capture / Linux /Ubuntu _FAIL !

Wine is far from ideal. While it allows to use Replay Media Catcher 3.11 and Replay Music on Linux like Ubuntu 10.04, there are problems with many other programs. I didn't manage to launch Replay Video Capture under Wine. Hopefully Wine will be improved in the nearest future. Right now I can only recommend you to use native Linux screen recorders:
    http://stream-recorder.com/forum/bes...nux-t3720.html

Thanks for responding to my question, I was basically trying to determine whether it was worthwhile try to install it. I agree with what you said about the wine installer, I've used it a few times and I would describe it "junk software" Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by waynejohn View Post
    I agree with what you said about the wine installer, I've used it a few times and I would describe it "junk software"
    I can't agree that Wine is junk. I was very impressed that Replay Media Catcher 3.11 and Replay Music were running under Wine in my favorite Linux OS. Also there are many other applications that work fine under Wine including many games, some versions of MS Office, Photoshop, Autocad, Google Picasa. See the list of supported apps at http://appdb.winehq.org. Wine is a very complex project, because Microsoft doesn't reveal most of the Windows documentation to the open public.

Also note that when you have problems running apps under Wine, it is important to try to launch them from the terminal and then analyze the errors outputted. For example, in case of Replay Media Catcher 3.11 it is important to have a Windows DLL that is not bundled with RMC installer.

I had some progress with installing Replay Video Capture in Ubuntu 10.10:
    http://stream-recorder.com/forum/ins...ine-t8289.html

But it reports the "Cannot install screen capture filter" error. Haven't found a solution to overcome this yet.