Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: File naming works bad after the update

Default Re: File naming works bad after the update

Hey there - for anybody having this particular issue, please submit a ticket to tech support so we can look deeper into the issue with each of you

Thanks for your understanding
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

How does one do that???

Come on, all these reports of the problem won't stir Applian to fix this unless we enter it into some database?

If a movie finishes and it redirects to an ad to play, it takes the naming of the ad. That's pretty annoying. Before this wasn't the case. Maybe an option in the settings panel, of what kind of naming it should use.

Because now when i start downloading.. if first uses the filename, than it uses a naming based on the website and then of the redirect.

I have also noticed this problem.

Before the last update, the video files I downloaded would keep the names they had on their server. Which was actually pretty useful, since they were very descriptive, and unique.

Now, they are automatically re-named, usually with the name of the web page they were downloaded from. This is really annoying, because the name of the webpage is often not at all descriptive. I'll end up with 10 video files, all named "Copy of multimedia search results" or something equally useless.

And if you have a queue of videos you're watching and recording, the videos change, but the web page title doesn't. So you end up with all the videos having the same file name (only with a number added - Copy 1, Copy 2, etc.).

If there's a way to turn off the automatic re-naming, please let me know. I would really like to keep the original file names.

Still no solution?

At this time there is no settings in Replay Media Catcher 4 to fix the naming issue.
    We are taking note of feature requests and will be adding in many of those features in future free updates. The issue is that all sites stream in different formats and manners. A lot of the time the stream Replay Media Catcher records comes from a completely different site to that hosting the video!

In any case we use a variety of techniques to try and detect the best name possible for a downloaded/recorded stream - the majority of the time Replay Media Catcher gets it pretty spot on.

In the cases Replay Media Catcher doesn't you can rename streams directly from within Replay Media Catcher. Select the stream and then the Download > Rename menu or use the Rename menu item on the right mouse click context menu.

What a pain.. There has to be some way to turn off this renaming crap. I just save a Lynda.com course to use offline and just noticed that it has renamed everything to the course name.. 30 chapters with many having up to 10 video lessons each all named the same. When the video starts, the files are named in a way that I can tell which chapter/lesson the file is assigned to. Automatically renaming downloads REALLY needs to be an option that we can toggle depending on the site and not a forced default.

Quote Originally Posted by singram67 View Post
    What a pain.. There has to be some way to turn off this renaming crap. I just save a Lynda.com course to use offline and just noticed that it has renamed everything to the course name.. 30 chapters with many having up to 10 video lessons each all named the same. When the video starts, the files are named in a way that I can tell which chapter/lesson the file is assigned to. Automatically renaming downloads REALLY needs to be an option that we can toggle depending on the site and not a forced default.
    As shellie pointed out, unfortunately there is no way to disable this - yet.

Thanks for your understanding
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

I have the same problem with file renaming. Which wasn't always true I have a number of video files where the name of the file remained the same.

The problem is the name of the file that is being captured shows up in the Name Column in Replay Media Catcher window. At the same time in the status column the status shows downloading with a percent.

Then after the file status changes to 100%, The status changes to Performing extended title search, then in the Name column the name will be changed to Untitled Page.

Why has this processed changed? What is the solution to not have the file name be converted to a generic name?

I have the same problem with file renaming. Which wasn't always true I have a number of video files where the name of the file remained the same.

The problem is the name of the file that is being captured shows up in the Name Column in Replay Media Catcher window. At the same time in the status column the status shows downloading with a percent.

Then after the file status changes to 100%, The status changes to Performing extended title search, then in the Name column the name will be changed to Untitled Page.

Why has this processed changed? What is the solution to not have the file name be converted to a generic name?
    I have been experiencing this as well. I also subscribe to lynda.com and this behavior is nothing short of a pain in the rear.

Will there be an option in a future update to disable automatic renaming of files? That is all that is needed.