Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot record audio from any computer sources, ie line in, mic, speakers.

Default Cannot record audio from any computer sources, ie line in, mic, speakers.

Cannot seem to record off line in, mic, or speakers regardless of settings. Never any excursions on the green sound bar graph and your program senses nothing was recorded. The recording time does increment. Suspect the replayAV driver has problems opening up computer audio sources. Especially since others on this forum have posted similar messages.

Have a recent HP e9105z desktop computer running Vista with all updates. All my sound settings are fine and I am quite familiar with using them. I do not have a sound card but rather am using the default integrated Realtek Semiconductor Corp motherboard chipset that is using the 6.0.1.5789 Andrea driver. All other simple sound aps work fine and my system has no other added sound or media programs except iTunes. That includes using mic or speakers with the simple Windows Sound Recorder that is in Accessories on all Vista machines. Now replayAV does record Internet radio for instance if I open the recording wizard, select and add a radio station source say, that plays on my speakers. Then selecting "Record audio from speakers" records fine and saves the .wav file which can then play with say Windows Media Player.

Addditionally if open the Replay Player, select an mp3 file, that plays fine to on my speakers. But again selecting "Record audio from speakers" while such is playing causes no bar deflections or recording. Tried setting File...Setting...Sound Mixer to all combinations of Line in, Microphone, or Sterio Mix without any success. Bringing up Control Panel...Sound...Properties then enabling or disabling in any combination had no success. When enabled and used with other aps the bar graphs deflect ok showing those sources have sound but your driver seems to have no clue how to reach them in these "Record from audio" or Record from mic" or Record from line in" selections. I uninstalled all the Applian software and reinstalled it with the same issues. If your support cannot figure this out, I will ask for a refund.

divad

Default Re: Cannot record audio from any computer sources, ie line in, mic, speakers.

What happens if you hit the "Test methods" button on the recording tab of a show?

Default Re: Cannot record audio from any computer sources, ie line in, mic, speakers.

I don't understand what you mean by the recording tab of a show. In the replayAV menu bar pull down items is no such Test methods selection. However if you are referring to the File...Settings...Sound Mixer, the "Test Alternate Audio Recording Methods" button does cause a brief test sound to warble.

I did some additional testing this evening. Per above I can tune replayAV to an Internet radio station, and the station plays on my speakers. Then performing Record...Record Audio from Speakers operates correctly causing the replayAV bar graph to deflect and after saving to an mp3 file, the resulting mp3 plays correctly recorded sound. Now say if at that same time I connect an audio source, say my Ipod Shuffle directly to my computer Audio In jacks that is processed by the above noted Realtek devices and firmware, and if both devices are enabled via my Control Panel Sound, both combine aka as mixes with the radio station sound on the speaker output. So two sources on the speakers at once. Also same situation if I were to enable the Microphone and talk into it while replayAV is tuned to the radio station. Most interesting is now if I use the replayAV Record Audio from Speakers, record awhile, save the mp3 file, and then play it, only the sound from the radio station is recorded.

Thus replayAV is not recording from the speakers at all as it claims but rather at some other point before these audio sources are combined. And that is why I can never make any recordings per my complaint as replayAV is not pointing to the correct source in the audio hardware, an obvious driver issue. The replayAV driver could point to the correct location for recording from speakers, line in, or mic by pointing to the same location the simple Windows Sound Recorder does. Something I would expect their engineers ought to be capable of. My computer system and its audio hardware is one of the most popular ones HP sold last year.

That is definetly a replayAV driver issue. Note I have been performing electronic test and test engineering here in Silicon Valley for several decades so debugging such problems is second nature. I guess I'll contact the Applian technical support group and point them to these two posts before I bother with applying for a refund. Would much prefer for them to get this working without any more hassles. They certainly need to fix something especially since your advertising relates it can perform these functions.

Has anything been suggested for the problem divad has explained above. I have a H/P also with Realtek sound, Windows 7 and have just about the same problem. The "test" reffered to, is "to determine the best Alternate Recording Method selection for capturing what you hear on your PC speakers". My result was "No sound was detected on any available Audio Recording Method for this soundcard. Please update your sound driver". On the Recording tab, the only thing listed by "Audio Recording Method", is Replay AV audio drivers.

Nothing is indicated on the sound graqph, although under the Status/Last Recording column it does say it's recording along with its time. All this while the speakers are playing right along just fine. Keep us up to date on this if you can, cause I can't figure it out. Thank you.

Recording audio can be tricky with both Vista and with Windows 7-especially line in. You need to make sure that line in is available and active on your system. You do this in the control panel. Also, with these two operating systems you will probably want to use a different player than windows media player. This is due to DRM and the way it is handled with audio. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DADEO View Post
    Has anything been suggested for the problem divad has explained above. I have a H/P also with Realtek sound, Windows 7 and have just about the same problem. The "test" reffered to, is "to determine the best Alternate Recording Method selection for capturing what you hear on your PC speakers". My result was "No sound was detected on any available Audio Recording Method for this soundcard. Please update your sound driver". On the Recording tab, the only thing listed by "Audio Recording Method", is Replay AV audio drivers.

Nothing is indicated on the sound graqph, although under the Status/Last Recording column it does say it's recording along with its time. All this while the speakers are playing right along just fine. Keep us up to date on this if you can, cause I can't figure it out. Thank you.
    I get the same "No sound was detected on any avaliable Audio Recording Method for this soundcard. Please update your sound driver" message in Windows 7, because I don't have the Wave-Out Mix / What U Hear in Windows 7, but Replay AV records from sound card without any problem.

Just to add to the confusion. In the Replay Video Capture program Recommended Settings page, under Audio Settings, I have No Audio Sources and No Audio Inputs so the Test Fails. Under Test Speakers I get Audio Test OK. Tried using this program and it worked great. Still can't record from speakers in Replay AV8?
    Last edited by DADEO; 10-30-2010 at 07:52 PM.

divad, I had some luck getting the "record audio from speakers" to work. I used Cheryls suggestion about user control settings and the thing that finally got this work was going to "Control Panel, then to "Trouble shooting" , then clicking on "Programs" (run programs made for previous versions of windows). A wizard-like box comes up and you follow through the next few steps. Worked for me, hope it helps.

I'm having the same problem but I can't solve it with the suggested solutions on this thread. I ran the "trouble shooting" wizard but it doesn't help. Any suggestions? Why does it work fine on XP but not on 7? Edan Aharony.

Also, with these two operating systems you will probably want to use a different player than windows media player. This is due to DRM and the way it is handled with audio. Thanks.
    What does that mean? Should I turn off Windows Media Player as the default player? is that what you mean?
    Edan Aharony.