Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RMC4 records in real-time - doesn't download

Default Re: RMC4 records in real-time - doesn't download

"...version 3 is without a doubt the best version, version 4 sucks, god knows what the next versions going to be like. "

Amen, Blaze. Maybe they should change the name to....oh.... Media Catcher Vista.

Here's a customer satisfaction hint: Don't take things away. Offer a stipped down version if you want (say Media Catcher Express). But don't take away features, charge more and tell people it's better. Oh, yes, and don't make excuses for coming out with an unsatisfactory upgrade, especially excuses based on your own convenience. Applian is on a slippery slope headed toward doing evil. It's shame considering how useful many of us find their products.

I agree 100% with the above - RMC4 is basically poorer at doing the things I want to do the RMC3 - and this shows a disregard for existing customers. Nothing p***es me off more than being treated like I don't matter when I've bought and paid for something - and seeing all the effort going into getting new customers (who will also cease to be important once they've paid their dollar)

Suggesting buying an alternative product is just plain insulting.

I've always had high regard for Applian, but this stinks.

Hi, again....

I've been doing a little more trial and error on RMC4.

I found that some sites still support Super Download of audio files, most notably PRI.org. This includes BBC shows which PRI carries in the US.

Other sites, notably NPR.org, BBC.co.uk and americanpublicmedia.publicradio.org, do not. From watching RMC4 "capturing" audio from these sites, it appears RMC4 is downloading - it's just downloading in dribs and drabs. From these sites, RMC4 downloads about 10 seconds worth of audio and then waits 10 seconds and downloads another 10 seconds. It is downloading, not recording (as I previously thought). But downloads stop and start.

I know this isn't a solution for anybody but maybe it will offer a clue to the tech people so RMC4.1 can be fixed. As noted, all these sites do Super Download in one swift download in RMC3.

Apparently all it takes to get Super Download in RMC4 is to increase the buffer. I got the following from Debbie McCormick at Applian tech support...

By default Replay Media Catcher is set with a initial buffer time of just over 8 seconds - 8192 milliseconds.

When the duration of a stream is known and this is less than 60 minutes and enable super download is checked, the buffer time is set to the duration of the stream and the stream will download all in one hit - fast.

In the case of NPR and some other sites, no duration is transmitted and so the default buffer is not adjusted.

At anytime you can up the default buffer size by changing Tools > Settings and expand RTMP Download Tweaks and changing Initial Client Buffer Size. Setting it to something like 3590000 will download just under 60 mins worth in one hit.
    _______

RMC4 still captures audio from NPR, American Public Media and the BBC as FLV files (not mp3 as RMC3 does). Still looking for a tweak to get the embedded mp3 files from these sites' web players.

>>At anytime you can up the default buffer size by changing Tools > Settings and expand RTMP Download Tweaks and changing Initial Client >>Buffer Size. Setting it to something like 3590000 will download just under 60 mins worth in one hit.

Does this mean if I set the Initial Client Buffer to, say, 8000000, RMC 4 will download TWO hours as "super download"?