Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMC4 records in real-time - doesn't download

Thumbs down RMC4 records in real-time - doesn't download

I used RMC3 to capture audio from NPR's website. I select individual news stories for "add to playlist." Then I played each story and RMC3 capture it after a few seconds. I could go through and capture the entire playlist of stories in less than a minute to listen to on my PC or transfer to my phone.

RMC4 won't do that. It records (not downloads) each story in real time. I have Super Download checked. Always record and Automatically record are not checked. The status shows the story as a live stream. It shows each story as Flash and they all have the name (NPR Media Player(*).flv). MC3 showed the actual file name and captured as an mp3 file (without converting).

How do I get MC4 to download these audio files as MC3 did? Otherwise, I have to go back to MC3. It seems like recording whatever audio is playing just duplicates RAV. If MC no longer downloads/captures, it's of little use to me (and basically ruins a good product).

Default Re: RMC4 records in real-time - doesn't download

Identical problem to mine with Iplayer for BBC7. Fortunately I did not remove RMC3 and am still using that.

Any suggestions anyone?

JohnB

Thinking about it I do not think that it does record in my case (I can close my player widow) probably just that Super Download is not working although ticked. Using 4.09
    JohnB

For some reason BBC7 shows are more 'overlength' than other BBC stations - so 30mins usually means 36mins and hour shows are well over the hour. So the 'auto' super download works against you and constantly reverts to real-time download. Please, Please, Please either make the super-download switchable (Like RMC3) or change the threshold to at least 65 mins (75 would be better). This has to be such an easy tweak in the code - and will make the difference between what should be a useful app and one that is (to be blunt) pretty useless at the moment. I've specifically raised a support ticket on this issue, but no-one seems to be listening. So far RMC4 has been a backwards step for me.

BBC7 downloading at full speed today with version 4.

Just realised what is happening. RMC4 has joined the nanny state!

If the file is more than 60 mins it automatically goes into real time mode rather than super download even where super download is enabled. Where the program is less than 60 mins Super Download is used.

With RMC3 it was up to us to choose what to do. Those of us downloading 60 min programs from BBC7 knew that since the programs were really 66 mins RMC3 would not be happy but would at least get 60 mins down before it croaked. We were happy. We just had to remember to disable Super Download for 90 min programs.

Please Applian don't nanny us! Let us make the decision.

JohnB
    Last edited by JohnB; 09-07-2010 at 06:00 AM.

I understand about the Beeb player and shows over 30 minutes. In my case I am capturing individual stories from NPR's Morning Edition and All Things Considered. These are from three to eight minutes in length. Even interviews from shows like Fresh Air are mostly less than 30 minutes. For some reason, RMC4 just wants to record.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    BBC7 downloading at full speed today with version 4.

Just realised what is happening. RMC4 has joined the nanny state!

If the file is more than 60 mins it automatically goes into real time mode rather than super download even where super download is enabled. Where the program is less than 60 mins Super Download is used.

With RMC3 it was up to us to choose what to do. Those of us downloading 60 min programs from BBC7 knew that since the programs were really 66 mins RMC3 would not be happy but would at least get 60 mins down before it croaked. We were happy. We just had to remember to disable Super Download for 90 min programs.

Please Applian don't nanny us! Let us make the decision.

JohnB
    Please keep in mind, RMC3 and RMC4 have different programmers.

If you use WM Recorder, you CAN use this in the meantime to record proper files (over 60 minutes too) from BBC - if not, feel free to check it out, or be patient with us as we work on new features for RMC4
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

> "Please keep in mind, RMC3 and RMC4 have different programmers."

Jeff, your post was not helpful. I don't care if the two versions have different programmers. That's an internal matter. What I care about is a product, for which I am asked to pay an upgrade fee over and above my subscription to the Capture Suite, no longer does what I want it to do.

And you missed the point of my post and the posts of the people who want to capture audio from the BBC. We don't want to record in real time; we want to download (i.e., capture). Two other programs in the Capture Suite will record. I don't need a third. What I'm getting is that RMC4 programmers did not appreciate the product and what users look for from it. In their eagerness to make the program work with hard-to-capture sites, they made the program less useful for the sites where it was already working. It also seems this new bunch of programmers don't appreciate the difference between recording and downloading/capturing. Applian has fallen into two major traps that face businesses: (1) Somebody takes over and dismisses what's gone before and thereby mucks things up. (2) To attract new customers and/or add new functions, a business makes a product less attractive or useful to current customers.

Y'all are not alone in all this. Microsoft messed up Windows Media Player 12 in much the same way and it no longer does things it used to do well in organizing libraries, tagging files and syncing to portable devices. Windows 7 (including WMP12) shows signs of dumbing down and idiot-proofing at the cost less functionality and usefulness.

Somebody at Applian, please answer the basic question here: Is there a way to get RMC4 to download instead of record? Tell us, the secret, please. If not, will it be put back in 4.1?

I've gotten a response to my tech support request. To answer my own questions: No, there is not a way to capture by downloading (rather than recording) in version 4. No promises about whether this feature will be restored in a coming update. Keep letting Applian know how you feel about this.

versions 3 and 4 may have different programmers, but from what i see, no progamming has gone into version 4 because its just jacksta under the applian name.. and we all know how misleading jacksta have been in the past with what their software can record....... "it will record hulu IF it detects a playlist" thats like me saying i will win the lotto IF i pick the right numbers......

version 3 is without a doubt the best version, version 4 sucks, god knows what the next versions going to be like.