Thread: Download and save bitrate

Default Download and save bitrate

Hi there,

I'm new, just have the demo, thinking about buying. I mainly will be using Replay to capture streams from sites like CBC Radio's Concerts On Demand, which has a great many recent concerts, new ones practically every day. All kinds of music from classical to hip hop, perhaps a tilt towards modern folk. See it at http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/.

Anyway, the concerts are all streamed at 128kbps. The capture/conversion option requires choosing a bit rate. The question is, what are the implications of different choices?

If I choose 128 mp3, do I get all of the file detail? Or is there some loss through the conversion process? Should I choose a higher bit rate for the conversion?

I'd like to undestand the process better, and to receive advice on this matter.

Ron

Default Re: Download and save bitrate

When you convert, you lose quality. Of course you can use lossless formats, but you will waste lots of hard disk space then.

In some cases (when you don't want to lose quality) it makes to use a better approach. For example, it is possible to extract audio tracks from FLV files (without conversion).