Thread: Replay A/V won't record from sleep under Windows 7

Default Replay A/V won't record from sleep under Windows 7

I have been using Replay A/V for years. What worked really well was running it on a laptop that could be in standby/sleep mode and it would awake for the recording. Then it stopped working in this way - at or around the time I upgraded my system to Windows 7.

Now my laptop has to be on and running for the recording to start. Indeed if the laptop is sleeping and I open the lid and awake it and it is part way through the scheduled recording, it starts recording instantly from the point at which I awoke the system.

I could not find any reference to sleep in a search and so I post this item to see if anyone else has seen this. Note that I did also ask tech support and they asked me to change my UAC setting which did not fix it. They also said they had heard of the problem and felt it seemed to be specific to W7 but that they had been unable to reproduce it.

Andy

Default Re: Replay A/V won't record from sleep under Windows 7

I am also having this problem. Please post a solution or workaround. I upgraded from version 7 to 8 hoping it would fix the problem.

Anyone any ideas? Tech support had no ideas beyond the UAC suggestion.

I am surprised that this is such an elusive problem as I tried it on another laptop and got exactly the same problem.

Sad to say but in terms of basic ability to schedule a recording, I have found Replay A/V under Windows 7 is a lot more problematic than earlier versions of Relay Radio under Windows XP. Such a disappointment as I thought Replay Radio was fantastic. Now I hardly use it for scheduled recordings as it is so inconsistent under Windows 7.

Recording is getting more and more difficult with each operating system. If your system is not waking up then you would need to try it with the User Account Control turned off and see if that works for you. We do work on improving the program all the time. Does it work for you when you do have UAC turned off? Thanks.l

Quote Originally Posted by andyman View Post
    I have been using Replay A/V for years. What worked really well was running it on a laptop that could be in standby/sleep mode and it would awake for the recording. Then it stopped working in this way - at or around the time I upgraded my system to Windows 7.

Now my laptop has to be on and running for the recording to start. Indeed if the laptop is sleeping and I open the lid and awake it and it is part way through the scheduled recording, it starts recording instantly from the point at which I awoke the system.

I could not find any reference to sleep in a search and so I post this item to see if anyone else has seen this. Note that I did also ask tech support and they asked me to change my UAC setting which did not fix it. They also said they had heard of the problem and felt it seemed to be specific to W7 but that they had been unable to reproduce it.

Andy
    Scheduled recordings that used to work reliably now only sometimes awaken the computer win 7 64 bit from sleep.

If I notice that the scheduled time has passed and rav has not awakened the computer. I turn the computer on manually. The area of the rav schedule screen is black, sometimes white with no scheduled entries showing. Then the schedule fills in and in a while the recording will start. But sometimes, for the same scheduled program, the computer will wake up and record as scheduled. sems that the computer is sometimes being told to wake up, and sometimes not. or that rav is not booting up correctly from sleep. what's going on?

uac is off.

We do not have a fix for this. It is a Windows 7 issue as it works great with XP. Thanks. If we had an update we would update it.

I have found that Replay AV works fine under Windows 7, including waking from standby when a scheduled programme is due, provided the laptop is plugged in to the mains.

I have used Task Scheduler to force Replay AV to load on startup without bringing up the UAC screen (I will forward the UAC workaround details if you wish - I got them from this forum, I think), but that won't happen if the computer is on battery power at startup and if I unplug the computer from the mains then Replay AV shuts down and has to be re-opened via UAC. I'm not sure what would then happen if I left it on battery, but I suspect it would shut down and not wake up for the programme.

So if I have a programme scheduled, I always make sure the computer is plugged in. When I switch on, I also do so on the mains, so that the Task Scheduler program kicks in to load Replay AV on startup, so that I don't have to do so as a separate exercise once the computer is running.

Has anyone found a reliable way to record a Scheduled internet radio program when the computer is in Sleep mode? The last posting here was 2 years ago when Windows 7 was newer, so I would think Replay A/V would have made adjustments to its product now. (I am using Windows 7 and RAV 8.83.) Recording from Sleep Mode is an important function for anyone who values Scheduled recording. It was a feature of a competing product (Total Recorder) I used for ten years or so for Scheduled recordings, which I abandoned only for the broader range of video recording options available in Applian's Suite. Thanks for any help.
    P.S. (1) I have not tried adjusting the UAC settings for my computer, but I don't think I should have to accept higher security risks by adjusting the UAC settings just to get the machine to Wake (I did not with my former product); and (2) I've tried using the Scheduler in Windows 7 but it does not seem to offer an option to "wake the computer" or anything similar, only to start a program.

We have not updated Replay AV for months and have not sold it since Feb. This is due to changes in technology. Regarding the sleep mode you would need to turn your UAC down. That is a personal choice. Thanks for understanding that some things are not as easy as they might seem.