Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soma.fm: ICY Files HELP!

Question soma.fm: ICY Files HELP!

I was recording from soma fm for 2 hours.
    When I finish recording, Replay Media Catcher crashed, and the file that I was recording, now appears with (.icy) extension.
    What is this?
    Can I convert this file into mp3?
    How can I play this file?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: ICY Files HELP!

ICY means Icecast stream. Soma.FM offers MP3, AAC and AAC+ streams. Were you recording the MP3 one?

Have you tried to rename .icy file to .mp3 and play it?

First at all THANKS!

Yes, I was recording from somafm and I was using Replay Media Catcher to record groove salad radio station.
    I don't remember if I was finished to record clicking the stop button on winamp or clicking stop recording on Replay Media Catcher.
    But what I do remember is when I finished to record Replay Media Catcher crashed and it returns me an (.icy) file extension.
    Yes I changed the extension to mp3, then I tried to play it with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, no luck.
    Also I tried to convert the icy file to mp3 and when the conversion finished I tried to play it and no luck.

Should I give up?

As you haven't told me whether it was an MP3 stream or not, it is hard to say. You can also try to rename it to AAC and probably to MP4 as well and try to play it.

Or upload the file somewhere and I will take a look.

Sorry I don't understand very well your question (Were you recording the MP3 one?), but I was recording using my computer. When I started recording, I clicked the option WMP aacPlus to play it.

Also I send you a megaupload link so you can download the file and view it
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MMZTK111

Again, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Sorry I don't understand very well your question (Were you recording the MP3 one?), but I was recording using my computer. When I started recording, I clicked the option WMP aacPlus to play it
    This is exactly what I was asking about. You opened an aacPlus stream, so there is no sense to rename your recording onto MP3. You need to try to rename it onto MP4 or M4A (there is no difference, because they both use mp4 container).

I will download the file to take a look.

I renamed the file to .mp4 and had some problems with it. Some players play it just fine, while SMPlayer doesn't allow me to fast forward and VLC doesn't play any sound at all.

I then renamed it to .aac and it worked just fine in every player I have tried including SMPlayer and VLC.

Thumbs up Re: ICY Files HELP!

Thanks!

Wich player do you recomend to play that file?, because I tried with K-Lite and after a few seconds of music it jumps to the end of the record.

Do you know if it's possible convert the .aac format into mp3?

I liked to play music with freeware Winamp and AIMP players. There are lots of other free music players including Foobar 2000.

I used to have K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, but I had intermittent problems so I had to re-install it from time to time. Since MPlayer and VLC come with most video codecs that are needed, I prefer to use them for watching videos.

If you don't plan to use your AAC file on your computer only, I don't recommend you to convert it. Otherwise you will lose some quality.
    Do you want to split songs? Do you want to listen to this music on a device that doesn't support AAC?