Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipad video format?

Default Ipad video format?

Any chance of adding a format specific to the iPad? I've tried using the high quality iPhone format, but the screen being higher res than the iPhone, the results are less than desirable. I've got purchased movies that come are crystal clear; iPhone level is a few steps below that.

Default Re: Ipad video format?

Thanks for the suggestion. You never know. Also, you are able to change the bitrate. Just use the format that works on your iPad and adjust the bitrate. You do this by right mouse clicking the format and selecting edit. Thanks.

You should be able to play MPEG-4 AVC and MPEG-4 videos on your iPad, so just select a proper resolution and bitrate.

What would be the optimal resolution and bit rate? Any suggestions from some video experts?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Audio playback
    Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
    Audio formats supported: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
    User-configurable maximum volume limit

TV and video
    Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable
    H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

I too am interested in an answer on this... I don't see an H.264 option, MPEG(h264) does not work on the iPad.

Unhappy Re: Ipad video format?

I agree. This program converts to MP beautifully and quickly but the result is not accepted by iPad. There needs to be a default setting that corresponds to MPEG-4(.h264) high and good quality or many will opt for other products that already incorporate this feature (including free ones that are already available from other companies).

I would love to get a clarification on the following from an Applian staff member:

Within the Replay Media Catcher, Ver 4.0.19.0 app, the built-in conversion facility offers the following output iPad formats:

iPad (MP4 H.264; 30 fps; 1280x720; AAC)
    iPad ﴾MP4 H.264; 30 fps; 768x576; AAC﴿
    iPad (MP4 MPEG4; 30 fps; 768x576; AAC)

Whereas the Replay Coverter, Ver 4.07 app, which specializes only in conversions, does not offer any specifically designated conversion output iPad formats. The closest ones there, I'm guessing, are the following:

iPhone Video Compact(200 Kbps)
    iPhone Video Optimal(450 Kbps)
    iPhone Video High Quality(800 Kbps)
    iPod Video Compact(200 Kbps)
    iPod Video Optimal(350 Kbps)
    iPod Video High Quality(450 Kbps)

I would have assumed that both apps use the same conversion engine. Is that not true? Any other comments on the above point?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by rin.aus View Post
    I would love to get a clarification on the following from an Applian staff member:

I would have assumed that both apps use the same conversion engine. Is that not true? Any other comments on the above point?

Thanks in advance!
    This is not true. Both programs were written by different programmers, at different times. RMC4 is new, however, and is constantly being updated. Our programmer DOES read this forum, so I'm sure he'll see your request for this format as well.

Thank you!
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Thanks for the reply and the clarification, Jeff.

As a follow-up, does any one know if it is be possible to use the conversion facility within the Replay Media Catcher 4 version that I mentioned above, to convert between audio/video formats on files that were not originally obtained via this app (RMC4)? If I were to guess, the answer is probably "No", but it does not hurt to ask.

Thanks again!

BTW, if any of you is not familiar with RMC4's iPad/iPhone/iPod conversion output format options, you can see a snapshot of that

which should justify why I would have loved to see Replay Converter built on top of RMC4's conversion engine.