Thread: When I record, rather than getting my program, I get a wonderful recording of a kalidiscopic screen saver.

Question When I record, rather than getting my program, I get a wonderful recording of a kalidiscopic screen saver.

I submitted the following as a support request, but thought that someone might have a quicker answer:

I am trying to install the At-Large Recorder on my Vista machine. When I record, rather than getting my program, I get a wonderful recording of a kalidiscopic screen saver.

I have tried uninstalling the At-Large Recorder - but after reinstalling, I get the same results. I then reinstalled again and went in and removed the INI files that remained after the uninstall. Reinstalling gave the same symtoms.

The only thing that seemed different was that first time I ran the new install there was a request to use some graphic display program - "always, this time, later, never." Thinking that At-Large would know what to do, I responded, "Always". Now I cannot find a way to undo this choice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Floyd Johnson

I have solved the problem - though I don't think it was related directly to Vista.

After installing the At-Large Recorder, I was asked if I wanted to use ffdshow Always, Now, Not This Time, or Never. I originally answered "always".

To get the At-Large Recorder to work, two steps were involved:

1. I reinstalled the "ffdshow" codec. This was the graphic option I mentioned in my first note. When I reinstalled, I chose the option to "reset" all extensions associated with this codec. When I originally wrote, I could not remember this program's name. After discovering the name, I had to do some detective work to discover what it did and how to replace it. I finally figured it out.
    2. After restarting the At-Large Recorder, I found that my "advanced" recording settings had been reset - I reset these to "default". As I started to view the new recording, I chose to "never" use the "ffdshow" codec for the At-Large recorder.

These two changes seemed to correct the problem. Since I don't make changes to the "Advanced" settings and this was an original install, I suspect that these two problems are connected - though I am not sure how. Sorry for taking up your time.

Floyd