Thread: Applian Codecs and K-Lite Codec pack

Default Applian Codecs and K-Lite Codec pack

Hi,

I like different video players for different purposes, so I like to be able to play anything anywhere. The only way I'm able to consistently do that, is to frequently reinstall the K-lite codec pack, and using the codec tweak tool. Replay Converter installs a bunch of codecs, too, and I just noticed that in the Applian start menu folder there are two items called DisableDshowCodecs and Enable DshowCodecs. What is the intention behind these?

In the past, I used the standard K-Lite pack, but now I've tried installing the K-Lite mega pack, and then disabling the Replay filters, because they all seem to have similar filters in the K-lite pack. Will this cause problems?

Thanks!

Helmer

Default Re: Applian Codecs and K-Lite Codec pack

Are you experiencing problems when the filters are enabled ? If not, you may just want to leave it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
    Are you experiencing problems when the filters are enabled ? If not, you may just want to leave it that way.

I have problem with some of the filters installed by Replay Converter when using other programs, for instance, I cannot watch RMVB files in ThumbsPlus using the Gabest RealMedia filter, and I have to reinstall RealAlternative.

I haven't tried anything "hard" in Replay Converter recently, so I don't know whether disabling some of it's filters will cause problems, but I was just asking in case there were some well-known issues. The existence of the Enable/Disable links make it look like this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Helmer

When you install codec packs, you can prevent some programs to work properly, unless you know what exactly should be installed.

I used to install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack in the past. I had to re-install it from time to time. Now I just use freeware VLC and MPlayer to play all my videos. They come with built-in codecs, so don't do any harm to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    When you install codec packs, you can prevent some programs to work properly, unless you know what exactly should be installed.

I used to install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack in the past. I had to re-install it from time to time. Now I just use freeware VLC and MPlayer to play all my videos. They come with built-in codecs, so don't do any harm to your system.
    Sure, there are some crazy codec packs out there. But K-Lite Standard seems to be quite good, and has a surprisingly good installer and a tweaking tool.

In fact, it installs fewer codecs than Replay Converter, and gives me lots of control and lots of information.

It's not the codec pack, but Replay Converter that messes up my system. Which is why I was intrigued by the Disable Dshow program in the Applian startup folder.

Helmer

Quote Originally Posted by aslaksen View Post
    Sure, there are some crazy codec packs out there. But K-Lite Standard seems to be quite good, and has a surprisingly good installer and a tweaking tool.

In fact, it installs fewer codecs than Replay Converter, and gives me lots of control and lots of information.

It's not the codec pack, but Replay Converter that messes up my system. Which is why I was intrigued by the Disable Dshow program in the Applian startup folder.
    I'm perfectly aware of K-Lite Codec Pack and its installer.

As I mentioned above using codec packs including K-Lite Codec Pack it not a good idea. There could be lots of problems with video editing and video conversion software if you use them. K-Lite Codec Pack is great... for playing audio and video files, but if you start editing and/or converting audio and video files, sooner or later you will definitely see some problems.

Also if K-Lite Codec Pack was very good, it wouldn't require you to re-install it from time to time. It is usually not other software that messes up your system, but a codec pack. It is easy to install one by hitting the Next button, but one should learn much more and then install every option carefully.

You can google for more.

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    I'm perfectly aware of K-Lite Codec Pack and its installer.

As I mentioned above using codec packs including K-Lite Codec Pack it not a good idea. There could be lots of problems with video editing and video conversion software if you use them. K-Lite Codec Pack is great... for playing audio and video files, but if you start editing and/or converting audio and video files, sooner or later you will definitely see some problems.

Also if K-Lite Codec Pack was very good, it wouldn't require you to re-install it from time to time. It is usually not other software that messes up your system, but a codec pack. It is easy to install one by hitting the Next button, but one should learn much more and then install every option carefully.

You can google for more.
    The reason why I have to reinstall K-Lite, is because other software, like for instance Replay Converter, installs their own codecs. The example I mentioned above where Replay Converter prevented me from watching rmvb in ThumbsPlus is an example of how the problem is other programs and not the codec pack.

It would have been good to have more info about how well Replay Converter will work if I execute the DisableDshowCodecs command.

With the K-Lite Tweak Tool I can see which codecs are installed, etc. It would have been nice if Replay Converter gave me similar flexibility.

Helmer