Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RAV8 is cutting off recording part way through programs

Default Re: RAV8 is cutting off recording part way through programs

*POSSIBLE SOLUTION*

I had the same problem where it turned off recording, yet it saved and everything was fine, it just stopped recording. That day I didn't restart my computer before the recording, and since then I returned to restarting within the half hour before the recording time and it hasn't done it since.

I can't remember the term it's called, but I DON'T record the way where you listen to it live with the wave line moving.

Restart right before recording and see if that helps. So far it's worked perfect for me.

Even if that would work (it does not work, for me), rebooting the computer eight times a day is not a feasible solution.

Are the above members recording in "real time" i.e capturing live streams or are they downloading archived programs (for example those available from BBC Radio's Listen Again facility - and perhaps using the most recent update of Replay AV viz Version 8.81b? I set RAV to simultaneously record 3 archived shows - namely a 3 hour Shakespeare play on Radio 3, and two 1 hour music programmes on Radio 2 and convert them to .wma format - but on returning to my computer after about 25 minutes I found that recording had seemingly ceased for the music shows. Then 3 minutes later the screen indicated that the Shakespeare was "saving", had "saved" and was "converting" to .wma format. On checking the Recordings folder however I found that all three shows had been captured in their entireties and to the specified format(s).

Presumably this is exactly the same as happens when we download a file from one of those Old Time Radio sites where, although what we are accessing is (say) a 10 Mb file comprising a 25 minute show, what we get is an mp3 file which takes about 90 seconds to save to our hard drive? My apologies if I seem to be insulting members' intelligence here but I have to admit that when I first found it was possible to record archived shows by the streaming route I believed the only advantage to be (as with live streaming) that I could have three or four of them recording at the same time and that if I wanted to hear Anthony and Cleopatra I would first have to sit and watch the RAV timer crawl through 3 hours.

If as has been reported the RAV recording process seems to have been terminated but despite this the corresponding audio files have been saved then it is worthwhile checking out their properties - especially any suffixed .asf which on closer examination may prove to be .asf Type: .mp3 (.wma or whatvever format might have been asked for).

One user said that RAV 8 had stopped recording a minute in. It occurs to me that if he or she were trying to record from an archive then a track which was three minutes long might very well be captured inside sixty seconds.

My recordings are all "live", as far as I know.

I have noticed the same problem.

What I think is happening is that for some reason RAV is failing to record properly then restarts recording again and creates a new temp recording file.

It saves to a temp file called ARAD1 but when it carries on recording it saves to the next free number i.e. ARAD2, ARAD3 or whatever.

When the recording finishes it only converts the first recording i.e (ARAD1 which could be any length). and ignores the rest. It then deletes all temporary ARAD files.

If you look in the root directory of where you save recordings to you will see these files being created during a recording session.

A snag has obviously been introduced in an update.
    Last edited by keithperdue; 07-07-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Sometimes when capturing live streams, there are gaps in the transmission -- this is why the splits occurred. Try increasing the Stream Capture Time Out setting. This is located under Replay A/V's Main Settings, under the Tuning tab.

Also, if it is an archive it is going to record as fast as your Internet and the server on the other end allow. If you do continue to have a problem write to tech support and include a link, what version of windows you are using, and a log file.

This is a problem I have been trying to explain for some time now - it started with Vista and continues with Windows 7, although I suspect the revisions of AV 8 may also be involved. As with others, I find that the stream download counter freezes and there is only a partial file. What I do note is that it only happens when I am on my office network and that my broadband connection has a tendency to drop out frequently. I do not have this problem at home or in other hot spots, so I am getting a service call from my provider ( Bell ) to see if there is a line fault causing this. I will follow this thread with interest and will post if my broadband connection is the proven culprit.