Thread: What is ffdshow?

Default What is ffdshow?

This week's version of Replay Converter 3.0 beta puts up a dialog asking about the use of ffdshow. In fact, Replay Media Splitter does, too. I could not find anything in the Converter help page about this feature. What is it? What benefits does it bring?

It is a decoding filter for DirectShow. If you have that come up when opening a program allow it and you should not have a problem at all using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    It is a decoding filter for DirectShow. If you have that come up when opening a program allow it and you should not have a problem at all using it.
    I did that and it opened a pretty complex dialog box that I don't think I need. So, can you give me the two-sentence explanation of its benefits/features. I have the option to specify that I never want to use it and never want to be asked again. I just want to know what I am throwing away before I do that.

Mike Christensen is offline Lead Software Developer, Applian Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by craig78681 View Post
    I did that and it opened a pretty complex dialog box that I don't think I need. So, can you give me the two-sentence explanation of its benefits/features. I have the option to specify that I never want to use it and never want to be asked again. I just want to know what I am throwing away before I do that.
    Hi,

ffdshow gives you the ability to use more types of codecs for the Microsoft DirectShow system. This is good because it can allow you to decode more different types of files for playing or converting. Replay converter uses it to help convert files using DirectShow. However since DirectShow and ffdshow are system-wide, you may be asked from other programs if you wish to use ffdshow or not. It's up to you if you wish to use it for that program. That program may still work if you wish to not use it.

Best regards,
    Mike Christensen
    Applian Technologies Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Christensen View Post
    Hi,

ffdshow gives you the ability to use more types of codecs for the Microsoft DirectShow system. This is good because it can allow you to decode more different types of files for playing or converting. Replay converter uses it to help convert files using DirectShow. However since DirectShow and ffdshow are system-wide, you may be asked from other programs if you wish to use ffdshow or not. It's up to you if you wish to use it for that program. That program may still work if you wish to not use it.

Best regards,
    Can you tell my why I end up with between 2 and 5 of the FFA icons in the system tray when I run windows media player. Before installing AV8.52c it did not appear

regards
    dean

Default Re: What is ffdshow?

I also get the multiple tray icons.