Thread: Why is FLVSrvc.exe (FLV service for Ask&Record) in the Replay Media Catcher folder?

Default Why is FLVSrvc.exe (FLV service for Ask&Record) in the Replay Media Catcher folder?

After a complete reformat of my HD I just downloaded RMC 3.11 from your site and installed.I noticed an Ask&Record Toolbar folder in "My Documents" folder,which is where RMC saves its finished videos(but I haven't used RMC yet).So I went into the RMC program folder and noticed an application named FLVSrvc.In the description it says "FLV service for Ask&Record Toolbar".I also went into my Task Manager to check my running processes and sure enough FLVSrvc is in there running,and I don't even have RMC open.Also I went into add/remove programs to uninstall it and it is not in there.I do not want anything to do with Ask&Record Toolbar.I know i didn't accept this during install,and it was not in there when I downloaded the same RMC 3.11 file from your site in July.RMC didn't need this to run before,so what is going on.

Default Re: Why is FLVSrvc.exe (FLV service for Ask&Record) in the Replay Media Catcher folder?

These items are for the "Video History" function of Replay Media Catcher. There is no way to uninstall it, it is a component of the program. I assure you that there is no part of the Ask Toolbar installed. This same function was used in the Toolbar and the developer did not rename the directory when he added this component to RMC. This was an oversight, and we will be renaming this with the next update.

Default Re: Why is FLVSrvc.exe (FLV service for Ask&Record) in the Replay Media Catcher folder?

But why is it(FLVSrvc) always running in my processes,even when I am not using Replay Media Catcher?Why does it need to be running all the time and wasting memory?

It is saving any HTTP videos that you are viewing in temp storage. You can adjust the size of the temp storage by clicking Tools>>Video History>>?.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel1120 View Post
    But why is it(FLVSrvc) always running in my processes,even when I am not using Replay Media Catcher?Why does it need to be running all the time and wasting memory?
    To disable FLVSrvc:
    1. Run msconfig.exe
    2. On the "Startup" tab uncheck the FLVSrvc. Hit the Apply button. Hit the OK button.
    3. Reboot your PC.

Thanks I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha Heinlein View Post
    It is saving any HTTP videos that you are viewing in temp storage. You can adjust the size of the temp storage by clicking Tools>>Video History>>?.
    Tasha,

No harm done by disabling this service, I presume, correct? We just won't have access to videos that we might have played while Media Catcher wasn't running - is that the case?

Thank you.

Jim

The FLVSrvc.exe is also causing the enabling of the Remote Desktop feature

Every time I uninstall and reinstall replay media catcher I do complete scans and syxtem clean. adn as soon as Replay is reinstalled, the FLVSrvc.exe starts and the Remote Desktop feature in XP starts.

This is a serious bug and I believe a deliberate virus / hack installed by applain.

Having FLVSrvc.exe running will crash your memory and system

Quote Originally Posted by SOMFW View Post
    Every time I uninstall and reinstall replay media catcher I do complete scans and syxtem clean. adn as soon as Replay is reinstalled, the FLVSrvc.exe starts and the Remote Desktop feature in XP starts.
    Every time I uninstall and reinstall RMC, I do NOT do any scans or system clean ups... and I never had the Remote Desktop running in Windows XP SP3. Otherwise my firewall would block this application. Read more about software you use to scan and clean up your system.

Quote Originally Posted by SOMFW View Post
    Having FLVSrvc.exe running will crash your memory and system
    I have never experienced any crashes because of FLVSrvc.exe. And I haven't seen any other users reporting any problem with it either.

p.s. Make sure to download all Applian software from www.applian.com and not from any untrusted source. FLVSrvc.exe can be infected by a virus like any other executable, make sure you don't have any viruses on your computer. I haven't seen any reports about malacious activity of FLVSrvc.exe from users who downloaded Applian software from www.applian.com and installed it onto a clean system.