Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting Hulu 480p FLVs??

Red face One more thing...Only one option needs set in FLVMDI

The Only option you need to check when you run this utility is the Keep KeyFrames option... none of the others are needed to properly fix the files. Try downloading a 480p and running the utility against it and you will see the difference in any player because it will now be SEEKABLE throughout the entire video.

When the file is first created by RMC the progress bar will actually proceed past end of the progress area in the player (also does this in ADOBE media player).

Questions... let me know.

Default Have you tried '******** FLV Converter'

I don't claim to be any type of expert related to things like this... but I used to own ********'s AAC->MP3 converter.

Still having their link, I downloaded the demo of their current FLV Video conversion s/w. It seemed to convert the first 5 minutes without incident... Only the first 5 minutes since that's their restriction for the unregistered product. The 5-minute file seemed to play fine on Windows Media Player.

Here is the link: http://www.********.com/flv-converter.html

I actually have ******** Video Converter and it IS converting the video, but it's warping the audio significantly. (It's dragging.) Still this is more progress than we've had, so that's good to know. Thanks for the suggestion!

Default Hulu480p

Any progress on this? I just purchased the whole suite so I could download videos for a trip that I'm taking next week. I wanted to convert them to play on my Archos 704 (which won't play Flash videos).

I downloaded three seasons worth of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" in 480p and THEN I discovered that Replay Converter won't.

Default WM Capture

Another option is to record these videos with WM Capture, which is a high-quality screen capture program, and then use Replay Converter to convert or burn these files.

If you go this route, try recording as MPEG-2 files, as you'll get super high quality this way. WM Capture includes special high-quality codecs just for this reason.

You can try WM Capture from here:
    http://www.wmrecorder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Heinlein View Post
    There are some audio/video synchronization issues with the 480p FLVs as well.. it's Media Catcher's fault, but I think I have a work-around to get them syncing better.

If you have the new beta of Media Catcher (released today -- 8/5), it will automatically update the plug-ins which are geared to downloading these files.. so you will get the fix as soon as it's posted.

-andy.
    Just paid to upgrade today to Replay v3.01 and the issue is still not resolved. Tried to download the 480p version of the new Chuck episode: Same thing, when you click on 480p it starts recording a new flv. The "high-res" flv is only 30 to 50 mb larger than the std res version. It plays in the applian flv player, but no converter will recognize the file. I'll check out wmcapture, I don't necessarily want to drop another $40 on a different program to do what I purchased media catcher do to.

Mike Christensen is offline Lead Software Developer, Applian Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by rjames View Post
    Just paid to upgrade today to Replay v3.01 and the issue is still not resolved. Tried to download the 480p version of the new Chuck episode: Same thing, when you click on 480p it starts recording a new flv. The "high-res" flv is only 30 to 50 mb larger than the std res version. It plays in the applian flv player, but no converter will recognize the file. I'll check out wmcapture, I don't necessarily want to drop another $40 on a different program to do what I purchased media catcher do to.
    Just to let you know, we are getting closer to resolving this issue regarding Replay Converter converting high definition Hulu videos created by Media Catcher. We will keep your posted.

Best regards,
    Mike Christensen
    Applian Technologies Inc.

Default Hulu 480p

That would be great! I really like the way media catcher downloads multiple streams simultaneously and directly...hate to give that up to capture a window in real-time...

I think I have found a solution. It took me some time messing with audio/video codecs and settings but here is what I have found acceptable.

Using a free tool called MediaCoder (Do a google search) you can convert the High Res FLVs into other formats. The initial difficulty I had was getting the audio to stay in synch. Now I have gotten at least a 30 second clip to be converted in MPEG 2 and the audio stays in synch. I am in the middle of testing a full 45 minute show to ensure it stays in synch.

Here is the basic settings..

Video: MPEG2, MPEG2 container. Fixed bitrate 2048.
    Audio: MP2 via FFMEG at a 128 bitrate
    Under picture ensure you uncheck the framerate to use the original wacky framerate.

In my first test I restricted the conversion to the first 30 seconds and the audio stayed in synch. I will reply to this with my complete test.

Rick

Success! My 45 minutes Terminator: Sarah Conners, HD TV episode worked fine!

Let me know if anyone else gets this to work. I am off to try a few other shows.

Rick