Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Converting Hulu 480p FLVs??

Okay, I tried an HD 00:02:16 clip of 'The Office' and the file played on the Neuros OSD!!!! I used Winff to make the conversion.

I am working on trying something longer, in the 10 to 20 minute range.

I think I already tried converting the longer Alias Smith and Jones MP4 that works well with Replay Converter and I got a file with audio shifting.

Glad some progress is seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by boeinguy2 View Post
    I think I already tried converting the longer Alias Smith and Jones MP4 that works well with Replay Converter and I got a file with audio shifting.
    Perhaps your original file is bad. Try capturing the video again. Then converting again. If it is an abrupt shift that then stays out of sync the same number of seconds throughout the video I'd blame the source and try grabbing it again. It's the easiest way out. Resynchronizing A/V is probably more of an art or tradecraft than science with tested, proven answers.

Last night I tried a 14 minute HD version of Clinton's 1993 Inaugration Speech (Picked for its time, not for its content).

The video lags the sound by about 2 secs.

There are a few things I have to check.

1. The shorter clip from 'The Office' had a framerate of 29.97 and an aspect ratio of 16:9
    2. The Clinton Speech has an aspect ration of 4:3 and I need to check the framerate
    3. The Alias Smith and Jones Episode had an aspect ratio of 4:3 and a framerate of 23.976

Based on this, I need to answer a few questions:

1. Does framerate make a difference? If so, can I adjust the final result or will changing the framerate in Winff make a difference?
    2. Does length make a difference? The short clip was perfect, the 14 minute clip was off by 2 secs, the 74 minute show was off by 9 secs.
    3. Is it possible that the aspect ratio makes a difference?
    4. Is there a way to compensate for the offset?
    5. During the final step of converting the Clinton file I saw a message in the command window, after ffmpeg loads the file, to the effect that the conversion was not starting at 0.00 and that this could produce an a/v syncing problem. Don't have the exact text with me, but it goes on to state that anyone who could create a patch for this problem would be appreciated.
    6. Finally, does my machine have an effect? An individual at the Neuros forum who has been working on this also was successful at processing the Alias Smith and Jones, so it is not the file, it has to be a local problem. I am doing all of this work on my laptop, a Dell XMS M170. It has a 2.13 Pentium M processor, a 256 Meg Nvidia video processor, and 2 Gigs of Ram. I may try to run some of this on my wife's computer which has a 3.0 Gig Pentium 4, 512 meg video card and 2 Gigs of Ram.[/list]

Quote Originally Posted by boeinguy2 View Post
    Last night I tried a 14 minute HD version of Clinton's 1993 Inaugration Speech (Picked for its time, not for its content).

The video lags the sound by about 2 secs.
    Since the same problem happens again and again, an abrupt change in A/V sync of an indeterminate number of seconds, I suspect the problem lies in the source file. An incorrect framerate between 23.98 and 29.97 is a difference of about 5000 frames for the course of a 14 minute video. 5000 frames is about 45 seconds give or take.

The rest of the questions are unfortunately beyond the scope of this Replay Converter forum. The conversion method used here was posted several months ago at a time when very few solutions for dealing with the new Hulu Hi-def files was available. It was just a method to play the files on another software player, or get them into a converter. I have encouraged further discussion far beyond the original intent and I should not have done so.

I think the best place for these additional follow-up questions is forums for the software you are using WinFF, or the hardware for which you are converting, the Neuros OSD forums.

Thanks for everyone's help! I have made progress, but not quite there.

As a final note, I did redo the Clinton speech file, with the -async 2 setting added to winff. The resulting file had a stutter very similar to the one that I started this whole issue with when Replay Converter created a file that had a stutter in it. Began to wonder if there is a clue to why Replay Converter does not work correctly, maybe it is syncing audio but does not have a high enough sample rate and so produces the stutter. I am testing another run at this file with -async 10. I will see if the stutter goes away or gets worse.

As requested I will take continue this topic on other forums.

Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cejacksoniii View Post
    I don't mind posting. I was concerned that Applian might not care for it since mencoder is freeware and bites into their business.
    This made me laugh. Why doesn't Applian give credit where credit is due? Applian uses mencoder.

Link

Applian has been added to ffmpeg's hall of shame. For violating ffmpeg's use license.

I like your Media Catcher app, but cmon guys lets act professionally here.

Latest installer RCSetup.exe (size 21203424, md5sum
    caf992b8b1d5f84dcc48e98b513369d6) contains ffmpeg.exe, r13981, configured with
    --enable-gpl --enable-libxvid --enable-libx264 --enable-libswscale
    --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad.
    No signs of source code or GPL (except in the ffmpeg binary).
    It also contains dvdauthor.exe and libmplayer.dll, which might only be a wrapper
    for libswscale.
    Added to shame.
    Wheres the thanks?

Do you think you could give me a hand with one of the files, guys? Any help would be much appreciated.

I have this little flv downloaded using replay media catcher but I'm really hopeless trying to find a way to convert it to anything that is playable in windows media player, media player classic or vlc.
    The only players that can handle it are the Moyea FLV Player and Applian FLV Player.
    It can't be played in mplayer, ffmpeg doesn't work, mediacoder doesn't work. None of many other converters works. Although that ******** converter can play the video in that player in the lower-right corner, it can't convert it.
    Either I'm doing something terribly wrong or...
    Last edited by IJK_Principle; 02-26-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IJK_Principle View Post
    I have this little flv downloaded using replay media catcher but I'm really hopeless trying to find a way to convert it to anything that is playable in windows media player, media player classic or vlc.
    Put everything in the same folder. Probably ...\My Recordings is fine

Download FLVEXTRACT.EXE, Unzip, then Double-click it.
    Tick the three tick boxes Video Timecode Audio
    Drag and Drop khl.flv onto the FLVExtract window

You got three files

khl.aac
    khl.264
    khl.txt

Press the Copy Frame Rates button. Paste it into a text document

------------
    File: khl.flv
    Estimated True Frame Rate: 33.3333333333333 (100/3)
    Average Frame Rate: 24.4988662131519 (10804/441)
    -------------

You can close all FLVExtract Windows

This is the what you want from the copy frame rates button --> Average Frame Rate: 24.4988662131519

Round up to known good Frames Per Second values. In this case round up to 25

Combine the audio and video into an MP4 file. Note below where we use the rounded value "25" in MP4Box. <-- You may need to download this and unzip it to where everything else is.

In a command window navigate to where everything is in the same folder, e.g.,
    Code:
    CD "&#37;HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Recordings"
    type in

Code:
    mp4box.exe -add "khl.264:fps=25" -add "khl.aac" "khl_flv.mp4"
    and hit enter.

If you have errors running mp4box you may need the latest version of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 redistributable containing MSVCR90.dll. It can be very bad to hunt for DLL's other than from a Microsoft site. Choose your platform x86, ia64, download and install. Reboot if asked. Then try the MP4Box step again

You can delete khl.aac khl.264 khl.txt
    khl_flv.mp4 should convert with Replay Converter or play in VLC.

Since we are dealing with a very short clip with only music and action this works. There is no perceptible audio/video destnchronization.

In other cases you would often transcode the video stream at the Average Frame Rate and convert the Frame Rate to the known good value during transcoding. This would leave the audio file at the same length of the video file. The audio and video would then be multiplexed together resulting in most probably imperceptible desynchronization as differences in average and actual rates of the two files is minimal.

Most video files with dialogue and face close-ups can't be done so simply. The loger the video the worse it gets.
    Last edited by flvrec0r3r; 02-27-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spel cheque

Thanks a lot for the answer. It really helped. Although I have a question.

Is it really necessary to insert the desired framerate when using the mp4box tool? When I use these parameters:

Code:
    mp4box.exe -add "khl.264" -add "khl.aac" "khlwhatever.mp4"
    without the ":fps=25"

it compiles the sound and video into an mp4 file just fine.

Or is there a default fps value that is used by mp4box when not entering it manually and coincidentally it's 25?

EDIT: And how about the khl.txt file? Is it really needed? Does mp4box use it when compiling the mp4 file for me or something?

Thanks
    Last edited by IJK_Principle; 02-28-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Is it really necessary to insert the desired framerate when using the mp4box tool? ...without the ":fps=25" it compiles the sound and video into an mp4 file just fine.

Or is there a default fps value that is used by mp4box when not entering it manually and coincidentally it's 25?
    :fps=nn is not always needed. The AVC H.264 stream FLVextract-ed did have the proper frame rate 25 fps indicated and MP4Box will detect and use it. 360 x 288 will be @ 25 fps is a pretty safe bet. That is one of the common PAL standard files. It does however make it a surer bet when determined by FLVExtract and specified on the command line.

Just a habit. I hate it when I assume, "Oh, that must be PAL," and dont find out until after a one hour transcode with desynchronization issues that it wasn't ~25 fps after all.
    EDIT: And how about the khl.txt file? Is it really needed? Does mp4box use it when compiling the mp4 file for me or something?
    No. The timecode txt file from FLVExtract isn't needed by MP4Box. You can safely untick that box when desired. Another habit. When a mistake happens I like to have some digital bread crumbs along the path to hopefully/helpfully find out where errors occured.
    Thanks
    Glad to try.

This comment goes a little beyond scope of the forum but explains the trivial details. FLV files are a tough nut to crack as a container. FLV files were designed to facilitate networked streaming and buffering and seeking. Not so much were they designed to be transcoded. I think no one person at Adobe knew all the specifications of the format until Adobe decided recently to open the format and document it. Sort of like when FLV player (which is really using Adobe Flash) can play a file perfectly yet nothing else can play it shouldn't happen. I learned the hard way to take small steps. I think others have posted they'd convert a small file, be thrilled, spend 30 minutes converting a larger file, and the larger file was all messed up. This make people drink. Excessively.

As soon as handling these nit-pick oddities can be integrated into Replay Converter I'm sure all these step by steps will no longer be needed.