Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freecorder audio recorder creates many small files

Default Re: Freecorder audio recorder creates many small files

Well, I tried recording a punk rock show off of KNON.ORG the other night, and freecorder 4 set a new world record or something

A 3 hour show got split up into 4800 files. That's like 2 seconds per mp3 file.

I am trying to find software that will join MP3 files but some trial software only lets you join up to 5 files.

Four Freaking thousand files

Ridiculous

and the show that I listen to is loud - hardly any silence periods. Why did it get split into such a ridiculous amount of files?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Well, I tried recording a punk rock show off of KNON.ORG the other night, and freecorder 4 set a new world record or something

A 3 hour show got split up into 4800 files. That's like 2 seconds per mp3 file.

I am trying to find software that will join MP3 files but some trial software only lets you join up to 5 files.

Four Freaking thousand files

Ridiculous

and the show that I listen to is loud - hardly any silence periods. Why did it get split into such a ridiculous amount of files?
    Personally, I have never tried that many files but if the files are the same bitrate and same format it will join depending on your system and how much power it has. Did you try the other suggestions in this thread?
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

The silence detector needs to br fixed. I lose half of what I'm recording because it's too low. I usually have no problem with Freecorder, but ever sicne version 4, it's been a disaster. I'm stuck on Firefox only, and now it gets to enthusiastic with "silence".

I have the same problem as the thread starter. The original freecorder worked fine for me and I think the toolbar also did when I was obliged to change.

However recently it's changed the way of recording and the fact that it produces so many small files makes it worse than useless.

I am currently looking for another recorder since it appears applian have no intention of fixing this.

ETA - I have Vista and the Windows recorder is doing the job perfectly.
    Last edited by cloudburst7; 11-27-2010 at 11:38 AM.

I think this has been done on purpose so you have to buy the other version stay with version 3, why break something that works never had problems with version 3.
    Have updated to 4 on my laptop and caused nothing but problems small files, tried to revert back and now even version 3 wont record.

They must know there's a problem with so many people having this problem.................... so why not fix it in version 5.
    Have version 3 on my main computer and works fine no problems every time it asks to update just cancel and keep version 3

It looks amazing to me that the product has a serious design flaw, and the company does not do anything about it.
    It creates bad reputation for the company and its products.
    I tried FreeCorder and I like it a lot.
    It has a very good interface, and works well.
    BUT, when I try to manually record something, it has a mind of its own.
    Manually means that I press the “Record” and “Stop recording”.
    Instead of one recording, I got so many small files (some of them one-second long), that makes this product useless for me.
    If you do not plan to fix this problem, you can just say on your site that this product is not good for audio recording.
    The work-around of joining thousands of small files is not feasable.
    I am disappointed.
    Please fix it, or give us a solution.
    Thanks

Default Re: Freecorder toolbar breaking up files

This is a big problem. Listening to a live recording with essentially no silence. 40 Minutes in I'm up to 40 files. Several as small as 1 second. I hope they are working on a fix for this.....Makes the product a real turd

Hi, Freecorder will split recordings into segments if there is a pause in the stream. Unfortunately there is no adjustment to make. The Freecorder Toolbar is our free audio recorder with a few bonus tools like the video history tool and converter. However, it is not a full-featured stream downloader. It works fine for many sites like YouTube, etc. But you may need a full featured stream recorder to get some of the more hard to capture sites. Please try a free demo of our Replay Media Catcher.
    http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/demo.php

Quote Originally Posted by Shellie Heggenberger View Post
    Hi, Freecorder will split recordings into segments if there is a pause in the stream. Unfortunately there is no adjustment to make.
    http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/demo.php
    There is an adjustment to make - the programmers need to give an option to increase the amount of silence before a break, or make it, say, 3 seconds, which would suffice for most radio broadcasts. Given the wealth of decent programming that has already gone into this product, this small adjustment to make the product worthwhile for radio-recorders should surely be made, free or not.
    Just shrugging and saying "there you are", or suggesting that everytime we record something we use another program to join up all the files (which is difficult when hundreds of one second files are produced each time) is not very professional. And the most annoying thing is that Freecorder used to work perfectly well.

I do not understand the need to break at all.
    I want to record a complete program, and listen to it in my car. Why would I need to break it every time there is silence?
    I someone needs to automatically break with silence and threshold, then use the premium product.
    In addition, the previous version worked like that. Now the program is broken (from my point of view).
    It creates so many files (talk show on the radio has so many silence seconds), that the programs that join MP3 files reject it saying that there are too many files to join.
    In my view, a program that records 1 hour of a program, and breaks it into 4800 files, is flawed.
    I think that the Freecorder too is very good: good interface, easy to use, etc. Why destroy it with something like that?