Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freecorder audio recorder creates many small files

Default Freecorder audio recorder creates many small files

Freerecorder was working great for me... and now when I try to record something longer than a few minutes I get a bunch of small files.. usually just 1k and the music I was trying to record is no where to be found.

I thought maybe some file got corrupted so I reinstalled the program and still it doesn't work. Any idea why I can't record anymore?

Default Re: All I get is a bunch of small files

The free recording tool on the toolbar will create a new file when it detects silence. If you are looking for a more robust audio recorder, check out Replay Music.

I was using the original (Audio only) Freecorder and it worked great. When I stopped recording, it asked for the name of the file and it saved it in the usual way. This Freecorder recently just stopped working; every time I clicked on it to record, I got the Applian Home Page telling me to download the latest version. (I only want to record audio plays that I've missed from the BBC!) Anyway, I installed the latest verson - Freecorder 4, only to find that the thing keeps crashing (I get error messages saying Freecorder has to close) or if it does manage to get to the end of the stream, it doesn't ask for a file name like the old one did, and I find I've got dozens of tiny files in the Freecorder 4 folder! Why on earth, when they've got a program that works great, do they have to keep messing around with it until they muck it up entirely? The old versions were very simple to use too. I would never risk buying this program, in case it still has these problems!

Yes, I get the same. The threshold for "silence" is too high and doesn't appear to be adjustable.

Why break something that works well? I'm not going to buy something that might be as bad.

However all is not lost - yet. The "Old" button on the tool bar still allows the previous version to operate. That allows you to name the files and set the data rate and start and stop manually. What more could we need?

Tools | Add-0ns | Options | Pre-defined components

uncheck all except "Old"

yes i get the same also bunch of small files......

when i tried to record a opera off the radio in 3 used to get one file but 4

cuts the recording up

I think version 4 is a step backwards

Can u uninsall 4 and go back to the old version 3 it worked great no problems

used to get one large file

I thought Freecorder would be great for recording BBC plays and stories, but it is completely unable to deal with even the smallest silence; hence I end up with loads of small files. I have just attempted to record a 30 minute short story, and this has been broken into 454 files.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 12-11-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Default Re: Freecorder toolbar breaking up files

Sorry, This is probably a stupid question, but is there any way to change the minimum miliseconds of silence on freecorder to 1500 and the volume cutoff level the same as replay music (500)

I mainly use replay music, I bought it twice, but this would really help our freecorder friends

I'm afraid not at this time.

I recorded a 90 minute webinar (sound only) and got over 1,300 files. This software is a worthless POS. UNINSTALL!

There is a very simple way round this - go to http://www.shchuka.com/software/mergemp3/and get an easy, free program that will join all those little files into one big one. I recorded complete Proms that way