Thread: Unable to save RTMP stream in proper format!

Default Unable to save RTMP stream in proper format!

I have a recurring problem, that when I am capturing a flash audio stream (rtmp), the app is unable to rename the temporary file. That wouldn't be a problem, as I can manually rename it, or convert it with no problem.

The problem is that the program deletes the temporary file, if it cannot rename it. There's nothing wrong with the file...until it deletes it (and it's not in the wastebasket). A typical scenario would be that I am recording an 8 hour cricket commentary, the play ends a few minutes early, they stop the stream, Media Catcher tries to rename it, can't and deletes it. 8 hours of perfectly good cricket commentary is gone.

As a work around I have started copying the temporary file, while it's recording, and that works fine. It's very impractical though and makes the program nearly unusable for me. I've looked in the registry and in the program directory and don't see anything like "discard partial downloads", or not. The deleted files don't show up on "undelete" either. I also tried unchecking the "rename files" option, which is no help either.

Default Re: MediaCatcher Deletes Files It Can't Rename

Please provide me with the URL of the stream that you are trying to record so that I can troubleshoot the issue for you.

Any of the links on this page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cric...es/7992843.stm) will bring up a page, with embedded flash player, that will demonstrate the problem. They're only available between 10:30am and 6pm British Summer time (PDT+8), though, and you might have to close the browser after starting the recording to get it to stop. As tomorrow is day 4 of most those matches, it's hard to say if they will go until 6pm or not. Simply starting a recording and leaving it will show the problem. Actually, you can start a recording from there, and right-click "stop and save", and you'll see the problem too.

It sounds like you're trying to debug a different problem, though. It's true that the reason it can't rename the file is likely an issue too, that those links would help you debug, but I have a work around for that. I'm more interested in what appears to be program logic that says, "if there is an error saving the file, delete what you have", as opposed to reporting the error, and either leaving the partial download, or at least giving the user the option to have the partial download deleted. Exiting the program while a download is in progress doesn't delete the temporary file, though, so I think it is purely a matter of the save function not checking for an error code before it deletes the temporary file.

oh. i'm sorry for that. that sounds just unusual for me.. anyway, i'm sure they will look at it though.

Don't know how long it will be active, but http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sussex/h...00/8255287.stm demonstrates the prob nicely. Start recording, click the link, let some data download, then right button click, "stop and save". There will be an error saving it, and the data which has been downloaded will be deleted.

I tested this link, clicked Stop and save recording. It stopped and saved the recording. What version of the program are you using? have you tried reinstalling?

It is 3.01. I tried reinstalling too.

Try uninstalling, rebooting and installing the latest version - 3.02. This is a free update of you own 3.01.

This, BTW, is the error message (and "no, it doesn't"):

"Unable to save RTMP stream in proper format!

Does the file already exist in storage directory?"

And that did the trick. Muchas gracias! Seems that gopher.dll had crashed and was left in memory, with the file locked, so that RMC couldn't execute the disk copy. Had to reboot to delete it, then uninstalled, then installed, and everything is A-OK.
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 09-19-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: update

---
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 09-19-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: resolved