Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: media catcher stopped working with Hulu

A word of caution. The 3.0beta abruptly stopped working for me. It complained about "sorry, the registration code you entered is not valid." I can't revert to 2.3 either. All Media Catcher versions give the same error.

So you might want to steer clear of the 3.0beta if you have no problems with current sites.

Quote Originally Posted by rhmark View Post
    A word of caution. The 3.0beta abruptly stopped working for me. It complained about "sorry, the registration code you entered is not valid." I can't revert to 2.3 either. All Media Catcher versions give the same error.

So you might want to steer clear of the 3.0beta if you have no problems with current sites.
    You might want to enter a ticket on that - sounds system related (maybe UAC if in Vista.)

For me, 3.0ß has been an improvement, overall. I still have problems with longer captures from Hulu (when it buffers or seeks to the last position and multiple streams are being recorded.)

One at a time has worked great with multiple movies captured.

According to Applian, RegNow flagged my purchase as fraudulent and issued a refund. Upon being notified that I had been issued a refund, Applian deactivated my registration code. Searching Google for
    site:regnow.com customer service fraud
    reveals this happens to many software vendors and customers. It can be for reasons as simple as ordering from an IP address does not match the GeoLocation of the purchaser.

You will note that Applian turned off my software without warning or question or notification. RegNow did not e-mail me either. They just issued a refund which of course won't be actually posted for 3 - 5 business days. Just *poof* no more Replay Media Catcher.

Any courtesy such as an e-mail and a short delay from Applian would have resulted in my giving another card number, calling RegNow, or e-mailing something like verifyatregnow (close to the real RegNow address of an e-mail accout set up exactly for verification of questionable purchases). I would have done the same thing anyone does when the clerk says "It didn't go through." You give the clerk a handful of credit cards and tell her to keep trying. But of course I would have had the use of the software for an extra day or two before it was shut off and we can't have that.

So now you know. Your Applian software can be turned off at a moments notice and it will be up to you to track down the reason.

Forget the part about fraud. Those things happen and there are better and worse ways to handle credit transactions and protect the merchant and consumer.

Wonder whatever else e.g., natural or unnatural disaster, disgruntled employee, etc. that could happen to shut down the software too? *poof*

I'm not sure how the "fraudulent purchase" notification would work, because that is not the department that I work in. I do think it is quite unfair to put this in the same category as "a disgruntled employee". I'm sure it was quite frustrating when your software stopped working. If you opened a ticket with customer service were they able to help you resolve this issue in a timely manner?

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Wasn't trying to disparage any current Applian employee.

This was to remind others that if software can be disabled remotely for legitimate reasons, it can also be disabled for other illegitimate reasons. Examples were natural disaster (knocking out the verification server) or a disgruntled employee (with a grudge intentionally hurting Applian by damaging its customers.) These are common scenarios leveled against software developers who use these types of remote verification.

Another example is a lawsuit from Viacom against ISP's that include injunctive relief to disable traffic to and from Applian because Apllian facilitates some perceived infringement.

These are examples that have actually happened and caused software that was paid for to stop working.

Yes I opened a support ticket. That is how I got the reply from Applian that RegNow had told Applian the purchase was fraudulent and Applian had decided to turn off my software. That ticket is closed.

Thanks for the opportunity to air my grievance. Best of luck to you and Applian for the future.

Well, rhmark never received a refund. The software was deleted. The registration key destroyed.

You made an enemy of a paying customer then closed the thread claiming a software update resolved the issue. Meh.

Thanks for the $39.95 price tag on Applian's integrity. A cheap lesson for all. Bill Dettering will be no doubt proud to read elsewhere of your stellar efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by rhmark View Post
    According to Applian, RegNow flagged my purchase as fraudulent and issued a refund.
    So it seems that he did receive a refund. I believe that was the first thing he noted in his post. As for Leslie posting "solved" that was concerning the issue of Media Catcher not working with Hulu. I definitely see how that can be confusing and I'll suggest we refrain from doing that. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

UPDATE:

Leslie went through and removed her "solved" posts. She was trying to make it easier for people to see that the original problem that started the thread was taken care of. Guess it didn't work out..live and learn P.S she is a forum newbie so let's cut her some slack!!!
    Last edited by Tasha Heinlein; 08-06-2008 at 05:55 PM.