Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replay AV8 & BBC radio programs

Netcaf wrote:
    http://beebotron.timeforabrew.com/

This site links to Real streams of all the BBC radio shows.

It's good for the time being but hopefully Applian will come up with a fix for ripping the new flash radio streams from the iPlayer.

Also I've noticed the new Replay Media Catcher now also picks up the Real streams which is a great development.

=======================

A great link...Thanks! (They moved to a different site in mid Sept):
    http://beebotron.org/
    "This site provides rtsp RealAudio .ra and .rm streaming links for BBC Listen Again programs that the Beeb hides. It will let you listen to BBC radio broadcasts on smartphones, Pocket PCs, PDAs, and other mobile devices that the Beeb continue to refuse to support. It also works on PCs, Macs and pretty much anything else that supports RealAudio."

Here's their BBC Radio 4 Listen Again non-flash page (Real Player)
    http://beebotron.org/public/iradio4.html

It's been suggested (eg by Cheryll in this thread) that we not use Real Player v 11. The BBC's Real Player v 10.5 works & it is spyware & ad free
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/categor...l.shtml?intro2

See this March '08 article by Steve Bass
    "Is RealPlayer Badware? Grab This Free Replacement" [the BBC Real Player]
    http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtwea...es/006661.html

& this Feb '04 post from Boing Boing's Cory Doctorow is still apropro:
    "How to get spyware-free RealPlayer through the BBC"
    http://www.boingboing.net/2004/02/01...spywarefr.html
    ' An anonymous reader sez, "The BBC made a unique deal with Real Networks which disposes of their spyware tactics. Basically, if a user clicks on a link to download Real Player from a BBC website, the referrer script sends them to a page where they can download an expiry-free, spyware-free and nuisance-free version of the player. It's because the BBC have such a stringent public service remit, that it was offensive to charge people a license fee for BBC content, then make them pay all over again for the facility to view/listen to it." (Thanks, Anonymous Reader!)'

C
    Last edited by chetcope; 09-28-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling & clarification * more info

Default Help please! BBC radio to iTunes

Hi all
    I've read all this thread (several times!) but am still not sure how to make this work. I've been happily using Replay AV to record BBC Radio 4 plays etc, convert to MP3 & copy into my iTunes library. As you know, this no longer works. I have now installed Real Player 10.5 & checked out the Beebotron site, but am no clearer as to how to update my Replay A/V settings to get back to the seamless process I was using before. Do I need to upgrade to Replay Media Catcher? I'm loathe to spend more money when I really don't need its video capabilities!

Can anyone help with an 'idiot guide' as I am really missing my Radio 4 fix?!

Default Sligh misunderstanding

Hi GCM

When I said RAV doesnt pick up the BBC radio streams I meant only those for the "play again" facility. I happily records hours of good stuff from BBC 7 daily using a broadband connection with RAV using the "record now" or timing facilities of RAV & streaming. It is an excellent product. Having said that I have recently encountered a slight problem on the conversion from WMA to MP3 which the tech desk are on to and a fix is awaited.

Happy listening

Maybe that's the issue. I'd been happily recording (on timer) for months, but then it suddenly stopped adding the recordings to iTunes altho they still seem to be recorded in rm. I think the url for BBC R4 programmes changed, so I reset all the programming, but still it doesn't usually work - but then occasionally one does (2 out of a scheduled 15 this week)!

Sounds like you are suggesting I need to wait for the conversion fix, so fingers crossed that's on its way. Thx for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    If you have Real Player 11 installed on your system please uninstall it and use Real Player 10.5 or Real Alternative. We have found that Real Player 11 does conflict with our program. You are able to find the other files at http://www.oldversion.com. If that does not correct the issue please let me know. Thanks.
    That is good advice. But I think the problem is that the BBC have switched to using the BBC iPlayer, and it that change that has prevented A/V from detecting the URL.

Is Applian working on this issue?

When you play something, it defaults to "Dial-up modem version: OFF" within the BBC iPlayer Radio Console. If you click on this, to turn it "ON", you will then find it streams the same stuff, but in a form AV8 can identify. The iPlayer Radio Console remembers how it was last left in this manner. So now within AV8 use the URL Finder under Tools, and go and play a Listen Again programme. It will open up as a RealPlayer feed and you can then see in it AV8 and save and name it as it always used to be done.

Thank you, Cheryl. I've tried that and it works perfectly. Problem solved!

Default BBC Radio

The only way I have been able to record Radio 2 with it converting to mp3 is on a computer using Windows 2000. I can not do it with XP or Vista as I am left with a blank recording after conversion. Will the new version of the applian software work?

We are aware that some people are having a difficult time converting an rm file. Our developer is working on this. If you uninstall Real Player and use Real Alternative (also a free player) you will find that the conversions do work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berry View Post
    Thank you, Cheryl. I've tried that and it works perfectly. Problem solved!
    It worked for me too - until now!

has the BBC changed anything, or have I me3ssed up my settings? Try as I may, I cannot now get Replay AV to recognise any BBC Listen Again stream, either with 'Dial-Up Modem Version' on or off!