Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming - and KFI

Default Re: Streaming - and KFI

Ok, let me start off by saying that I love using Replay AV, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I do want to express my frustration with using it for KFI (since almost all my recordings come from that station). And I'm not trying to vent, I truly want to make sure this is somewhere on the developer's radar screen.
    I don't think that a station changing its streaming method should put the program down for the count, because that is what the product is designed to do. The streams came before the software, not the other way around. I understand the need for an update, but when we're told that "it's working" and "there's nothing to fix," it makes me think that nobody is looking into improving the functionality.
    The designers can declare that it's working all day long, but that doesn't make it so. It used to never let me down, but now I can only be assured that it's working when I'm there to hold its hand. If the sound doesn't start up quickly enough for Replay AV, then it tries again, and opens another player window. Then it records 3 (or more!) players that are all out of phase and talking over each other.
    Then when stops recording the sounds, it will not shut down ANY of the players. So even if it did work with the single player, you have to manually shut that player down before the next show comes on. Otherwise you'll get 2 (or more) competing players again.

When you use audio capture you are only able to record one show at a time. You are correct that they cannot overlap. The developer is working on trying to find a way to capture KFI with ReplayAV and stream capture. Your concerns are not being ignored as there are a lot of stations that have changed with the Clear Channel and we always like to stay on top of it. It is not as easy as it sounds to get a good URL for stations. Thanks.

Unhappy Re: Streaming - and KFI

I too listen almost exclusively to KFI and am totally frustrated by the KFI changes. It appears they have been sold a bill of goods by some ad agency that thinks we're going to sit and look at their flash player pushing ads into our face. They forget that radio is not television! Who looks at the radio while listening? Only time I've seen that is in an ancient photo of people listening to FDR! We do all kinds of other things, at home or at work, or work at home. I listen almost 24/7, and record with Replay A/V. Have done so for years.

Flash is a resource hog. Slows computer to less than a crawl. If I'm going to be productive, have to shut down KFI totally. Have to have another browser open to listen, to accommodate the "flash" which I never, EVER look at. The extra browser uses 5 or 6 times the memory that Replay A/V does even while recording. Recording "what you hear" is NOT practical 'cause of all the stupid "automatic audio" on so many sites. Ruins recordings. Which means you cannot surf normally or get any work done. And you have to turn off all your computer sounds. Cannot record in the background. Cannot do anything at all with sound on your computer while recording. Extremely impractical. I have set my browsers to NOT play any flash unless I specifically want that particular site to do so. It is MY choice to not have flash slow my computer.

Also, many IT departments in businesses forbid KFI in order to stop the extra bandwidth use for flash. All in all, force flash ads on us, and KFI loses listeners as a result. We should start a campaign to let KFI know. Let them know that RADIO IS NOT TELEVISION!

Great points.

How do you turn "Flash" off in Firefox?

Cheryl- Glad to hear the developer is working on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sethm1 View Post
    How do you turn "Flash" off in Firefox?
    I use FlashBlock extension for Firefox. It allows you to hit the play button to activate a particular flash object.

Smile Re: Streaming - and KFI

Hi I live in S.Carolina and I just tune in to Leo Laporte with no problems on KFI in LA Cal. Try this http://www.replay-video.com/user/red..._id=346&id=158

This has been a MAJOR frustration for me ever since clear channel morons started implementing it...one station at a time. Now townhall.com is starting it on some stations.

If you look at the URL, they are imbedding an "auth code" in the URL. The code periodically changes throughout the day so if you try to record the stream after that, it is, in effect, a different URL and won't connect. It seems to me that all Applian would have to do is log on through the website, start the player, capture and update the URL then use whatever process they use currently to record the stream. How 'bout it guys?

Wink Re: Streaming - and KFI

Here is a workaround for stations like KFI and KRLA that have gone to that stupid "flash" system, which means we cannot record in the usual manner. This way you can record unattended, and undoubtedly it will work with any station.

1. Set your Applian recorder to the times you want to record, just like normal. But don't put in any URL Leave that area blank. Set to "What You Hear".

2. Now go to the station's website and open the flash player. That url in the address bar is what you need to copy for the next step.

(These directions are for my system, XP, but you should be able to find the equivalent in other systems.)

3. Now go over to Start > Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks > Add Scheduled Task.

A wizard will walk you through the setup. Decide what browser you want to use. At the end, either check the box that you want to open the extra settings (whatever it's called) or finish it and then right-click for Properties.

4. Under the "Task" tab, the "Run" field should have this format:
    (this is for the KRLA player)

"C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" http:\den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net\player\flash\audio_player. php?id=KRLAAM&uid=104

What you will find initially is the string for the browser only, not the station's player. It will end with iexplore.exe, chrome.exe, whatever. First, make sure that string is within quote marks. Then add a single space at the end. Then paste in the player's url, no more quotes.

5. Then go to the "Schedule" tab. Check off the days you want it to run, and what time to start.

6. To set the duration, click the "Settings" tab. The default is to run 72 hours! Why, who knows. That's a weird number, so change it to whatever you need.

You are now finished. Test, test, test. Right-click and tell it to run. If the browser opens and you hear the station, you're all set. I'd advise (being somewhat paranoid) that you sit and watch it at the scheduled time, to make sure there is no glitch.

Do this for each time and each station. I made a separate one for each program, but there is an option for you to make multiple schedules on the same station.

The Good: Without the URL in Replay, it will start recording immediately. When it has a URL in that field, there's a delay, waiting for the Replay player to open. Then if there's no sound, you'll get a popup notice. So this way is fast, with the URL field empty, which means there's no waiting for the Replay player. And this whole method bypasses the "tricks" or whatever the stations are doing, requiring a token or something to be renewed every so often.

The Bad: You cannot go surfing on the net while it's running this way because far too many websites have flash or audio that starts automatically that will ruin your recording.

The Ugly: You may want to convert the recordings down to a smaller size, depending on what you get. 128 down to 32 is what I do to save space. What I record is speech so don't need higher than 32. I also convert all .asf files to .mp3 for more playback choices.

I did think that you had to have the sound actually being heard in the room (you do have to see the green bars on Replay, however) but I experimented the other day and found that you can turn the volume off on your external speakers and still have the green bars and still make a proper recording! Good news! This means you can record even while someone is sleeping.

I hope this workaround helps a lot of people. Remember to test, test, test, and then test again, making sure it works on your particular system.

(Maybe Cheryl can cross-post or give links to this guide in all the appropriate places where people are talking about this kind of problem.)

P.S., for some programs, you can use the Media Guide or the program's website directly to find if it's on another station across the country. That's what I've done with some programs, and I can use Replay with those stations the normal way. Downside of that is that the different time zones drive me crazy!
    Last edited by excalifornian; 11-08-2009 at 09:00 PM.

The "Bad" is a biggie - as I am a multi-tasker.

Quote Originally Posted by sethm1 View Post
    The "Bad" is a biggie - as I am a multi-tasker.
    Alas, so am I! That's why I've stopped recording KFI completely and wait for the podcast. It's a real pain because many times what I really want is the news segment (being a news junkie and all). But KRLA doesn't have podcasts so I have to stop all surfing for that one. (I used to work there before relocation.)