Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming - and KFI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Streaming - and KFI

Any one know when I'll be able to set Reply A/V to record via Download Streaming?
    I just heard that KFI does not allow the stream recording.
    Is there a work around?
    I have one other show, but looks like I can't set KFI to Capture by Recording Audio (Whether by Windows Media, General Streaming or Real Audio) and another show (same time) via Download Streaming. So its either one show or the other.

Default Possible workaround

Well, there was another thread that addressed this. They suggested removing the old schedule, and then add them again with the updated information. The catch is that they can only record by capturing the audio output... you can not currently capture the download stream.

NOTE: When I did this, it opened the player and recorded the show, but it did not CLOSE that player. So when my next show came on, it opened another player, and recorded the second show with both going at the same time. The end result is that every show recorded after the first one is ruined, with multiple shows recorded talking over each other. Even the same station plays over itself with a 10 or 12 second delay. Unlistenable! Not sure how it works on other computers, but I have to manually close the player between shows.

My other option is using recording software goldwave. I manually open the player for KFI and just leave it running. Use gold wave with the timer option to start recording at the time I want. I like Replay AV, but I've missed a lot of shows the past couple of weeks. Good luck.

We do have the show set up for audio capture in the Media Guide. It works great but it will only record one show at a time with audio. You are able to capture other shows using stream capture at the same time as this however. As an alternative you are able to use Replay Media Catcher but you are not able to have a schedule with this program.

By the way I do not use a URL for a specific show.
    KFI: http://www.kfi640.com/cc-common/onde....html?world=st
    KRLA: http://www.streamaudio.com/Player/Pl...name=&Optin=no

Replay A/v will not allow Capture by Download stream for one radio stn AND Capture by Recording Audio Output for another.

If I use Capture by Recording Audio Output, which type is preferred: General Streaming Audio, Window Media Or Real, or External Line in ?

what is Replay Media Catcher? I don't see that feature.

PS: when I Rt click on any of my shows, Properties menu does not open (using Vista 64 Bit SP2). But Rt click in Windows 7 does work. Just an FYI.

If you are using Windows 7 we have not made the program fully compatible with that as of yet as we are still testing it. All of our other programs do work fine with Windows 7. Here is a link to Replay Media Catcher for you.

I am using Vista - day to day.
    I have a old machine I put Win 7 on. But yes it works fine for me with Reply A/V. I just don't use the 7 PC as it does not have my e-mail set up on it.

hope catcher works!
    Anything about that program I should know (in setting up)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    If you are using Windows 7 we have not made the program fully compatible with that as of yet as we are still testing it. All of our other programs do work fine with Windows 7. Here is a link to Replay Media Catcher for you.
    yup. i agree. everything works fine under Windows 7.

Smile Re: Streaming - and KFI

Hi I live in S.Carolina and I just tune in to Leo Laporte with no problems on KFI in LA Cal. Try this http://www.replay-video.com/user/red..._id=346&id=158

Default Re: Streaming - and KFI

This has been a MAJOR frustration for me ever since clear channel morons started implementing it...one station at a time. Now townhall.com is starting it on some stations.

If you look at the URL, they are imbedding an "auth code" in the URL. The code periodically changes throughout the day so if you try to record the stream after that, it is, in effect, a different URL and won't connect. It seems to me that all Applian would have to do is log on through the website, start the player, capture and update the URL then use whatever process they use currently to record the stream. How 'bout it guys?

Wink Re: Streaming - and KFI

Here is a workaround for stations like KFI and KRLA that have gone to that stupid "flash" system, which means we cannot record in the usual manner. This way you can record unattended, and undoubtedly it will work with any station.

1. Set your Applian recorder to the times you want to record, just like normal. But don't put in any URL Leave that area blank. Set to "What You Hear".

2. Now go to the station's website and open the flash player. That url in the address bar is what you need to copy for the next step.

(These directions are for my system, XP, but you should be able to find the equivalent in other systems.)

3. Now go over to Start > Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks > Add Scheduled Task.

A wizard will walk you through the setup. Decide what browser you want to use. At the end, either check the box that you want to open the extra settings (whatever it's called) or finish it and then right-click for Properties.

4. Under the "Task" tab, the "Run" field should have this format:
    (this is for the KRLA player)

"C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" http:\den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net\player\flash\audio_player. php?id=KRLAAM&uid=104

What you will find initially is the string for the browser only, not the station's player. It will end with iexplore.exe, chrome.exe, whatever. First, make sure that string is within quote marks. Then add a single space at the end. Then paste in the player's url, no more quotes.

5. Then go to the "Schedule" tab. Check off the days you want it to run, and what time to start.

6. To set the duration, click the "Settings" tab. The default is to run 72 hours! Why, who knows. That's a weird number, so change it to whatever you need.

You are now finished. Test, test, test. Right-click and tell it to run. If the browser opens and you hear the station, you're all set. I'd advise (being somewhat paranoid) that you sit and watch it at the scheduled time, to make sure there is no glitch.

Do this for each time and each station. I made a separate one for each program, but there is an option for you to make multiple schedules on the same station.

The Good: Without the URL in Replay, it will start recording immediately. When it has a URL in that field, there's a delay, waiting for the Replay player to open. Then if there's no sound, you'll get a popup notice. So this way is fast, with the URL field empty, which means there's no waiting for the Replay player. And this whole method bypasses the "tricks" or whatever the stations are doing, requiring a token or something to be renewed every so often.

The Bad: You cannot go surfing on the net while it's running this way because far too many websites have flash or audio that starts automatically that will ruin your recording.

The Ugly: You may want to convert the recordings down to a smaller size, depending on what you get. 128 down to 32 is what I do to save space. What I record is speech so don't need higher than 32. I also convert all .asf files to .mp3 for more playback choices.

I did think that you had to have the sound actually being heard in the room (you do have to see the green bars on Replay, however) but I experimented the other day and found that you can turn the volume off on your external speakers and still have the green bars and still make a proper recording! Good news! This means you can record even while someone is sleeping.

I hope this workaround helps a lot of people. Remember to test, test, test, and then test again, making sure it works on your particular system.

(Maybe Cheryl can cross-post or give links to this guide in all the appropriate places where people are talking about this kind of problem.)

P.S., for some programs, you can use the Media Guide or the program's website directly to find if it's on another station across the country. That's what I've done with some programs, and I can use Replay with those stations the normal way. Downside of that is that the different time zones drive me crazy!
    Last edited by excalifornian; 11-08-2009 at 09:00 PM.