Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording Volume vs Recording Quality

Default Re: Recording Volume vs Recording Quality

I knew i was the best !!!!!

Bump

I hope its ok to resurrect this old thread. I'm trying to ascertain the best settings for recording FLAC files a streaming service called Qobuzz with RM6.

If I understand what I've read on the thread, I set the volume level of the streaming software to 100% (Qobuzz defaults at 90%) and should ideally adjust the Recording Volume in accordance with the VU meter. At the moment I've just left it at 50%, which seems to just about hit a peak during the loudest bits of most tracks that i've played so far. I’m using Audio Driver as the Input Source and I've turned Normalizing off. Is all this correct?

The actual source of the material recorded is also discussed in this thread, i.e whether its a direct copy of the source and its manipulated and possibly degraded by your soundcard. If I'm streaming lossless FLAC and its recording to FLAC, am i getting exactly the same file?
    Last edited by paddyb; 07-16-2014 at 09:59 AM.

For Replay Music the source material is converted to WAV (itself a lossless format) before RM grabs it. If you really want the FLAC untouched, Replay Media Catcher 5 is a better choice. The interception is before the sound card, though.

Thanks Cheryl.

It seems to be generally accepted that converting from one lossless format to another shouldn't result in any loss of quality. I'm actually converting the FLAC files to ALAC, so I can add them to iTunes, so it's actually going through three different lossless formats! It's useful to know that RM converts to WAV. If its lossless, then there's no need to select FLAC anymore if I'm going to convert it to ALAC afterwards.

Its also reassuring to know that the conversion comes before the soundcard, so its not going through a poor quality onboard DAC, then being re digitised. My knowledge of these things is rather basic, but I think RM can probably access the data streams via the WASAPI protocol.

I'll have another look at Replay Media Capture. I think I looked at this a while back and it requires more work with tagging etc, but it would be interesting to compare the results with RM6 quality wise.

Thanks very much for your help with this.