Thread: Why such large file size for mpg

Default Why such large file size for mpg

I am basically happy with the RVC program (A timer would be a nice feature for new versions). However I don't understand why the mpeg2 file size is so large. I record a streaming video window that is 320 x 240 and 1 hour of recording is over 1GB in file size. That large file size is equivalent to DVD quality but the captured video certainly is not DVD quality. I have tried using wmv9 option and the file size is 1/5 that of mpeg2. Why is the mpg so large for such a small window and can this be changed?

The program is very power intensive as it uses a screen capture and not a stream capture method of capturing. That is why the file size is so large. You are able to adjust the bitrate of what you are recording but it will have an impact on the quality of your program. A suggestion is to use the wmv file format if you are happy with it and then convert it to a different format.

I suggest to use MPEG-2 and then convert videos using free Xvid or x264 video codecs.

i would agree with your timer suggestion. by the way, that's just the way it is since it is a screen capture. that would entail large files really.

Default Re: Why such large file size for mpg

As a screen capture program, Replay Video Capture will use a lot of your computer’s bandwidth – this is the nature of the beast. For the best possible screen recording, we HIGHLY recommend you get a dual core computer.

As of now, we are using the fastest compression currently available; MPEG-2.

This does, of course, use a high amount of bandwidth on your computer, but also gives the best possible recordings.

I hope this helps.
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.