Thread: TR/Agent Trojan

Default TR/Agent Trojan

Having recently installed Replay Media Catcher, Avira AntiVir is detecting TR/Agent.507904 Trojan in C:/Program Files\Replay Media Catcher\plugins\plugin_zrtsp.dll (Windows Vista).

If I delete or quarantine the trojan it reappears upon next reboot.

How do I get rid of this - and why is it here?

Default Also seeing trojan.

I just started to get the same thing. Avira started catching it today. I said to quarantine and media catcher tries to download the same plugin with the same trojan. Is it a false positive or what?

That's true - it reappears when RMC downloads the plugin again.

Upload the file to http://www.virustotal.com and report your results.

Please use anti-virus software that is reputable and has been around for a while such as AVG. AVG has a free version and the AVG engineers know what is or is not a virus.

Of course this is a false report.

Some of the plug-ins are "compressed" using ASPack or PECompact to make them smaller. This saves on bandwidth as well as time spent downloading the plug-in. Because they are compressed, third rate anti-virus software report this file as a "virus" because it doesn't know how to decompress the plug-in properly. Because of this they throw up a red flag and say "Hi, we are too lazy to really analyze this file, so, it must be a virus!"

-andy.
    Last edited by Andy Heinlein; 03-03-2009 at 06:02 PM.

I recompiled the plug-in and didn't compress it with anything. Try it now. If it throws a flag, then there is something seriously wrong with your anti-virus software.

I've just downloaded the recompiled plugin_zrtsp.dll and run Avira AntiVir.

No trojan reported

Avira AntiVir is reputable and has been around for a while (that's not to say it wasn't a false positive).

"Avira is a well-established name in Germany... its free PersonalEdition Classic product achieved a remarkable 92% detection rate in our tests... AntiVir is the most effective free antivirus package we've seen," PCPro Product Review July '07.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Heinlein View Post
    "Hi, we are too lazy to really analyze this file, so, it must be a virus!"

-andy.
    That's what I like Applian support: They're polite & happy people and, have a sense of humour...

Yes - and I forgot my manners. Thanks for sorting the problem and for the reassurance that it wasn't really a problem.