Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The facts about the RTMP plug-in...

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha Heinlein View Post
    I just tested Jaksta and I wasn't able to record from FOX or any other site that Media Catcher doesn't work with. Is there some trick I am not aware of? I would be interested to know if there is program out there that is capable of capturing from sites that Media Catcher can't. I would not, however, care to see false information posted about a program to try and defer people from using our programs.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.
    I was referring to Fox broadcast tv shows on Hulu, such as Bones, Simpsons, Fringe, or Dollhouse. And I was not trying to denigrate your product or post false information. I was just trying to figure out why, when I ran several sequential tests, RMC apparently could not "see" the 700K RTMP Hulu streams when the other program could. I thought you might have some advice, something I was doing wrong. But as I have posted elsewhere, it no longer matters because Hulu seems to have eliminated these old Flash Video RTMP streams altogether.

It appears that Jaksta works on hide
    and, Replay Media Catcher does not...

Don't know what to tell ya...

Default Hulu changed its playlist format

I too am testing various products for RTMP(E) capabilities. Hopefully this note will explain the differences and the confusion in the above notes.

The current V3.09 of the alternate program to RMC was capable of capturing the 700K streams from HULU until HULU made a change recently. The Beta of their next release (V3.10) (provided by their tech support yesterday) again captures the 700K stream, so perhaps this is why Applan has not been able to reproduce the 700K capture if they were using the free v3.09 after HULU made the change.

It seems that RMC only attempts to download the video stream that is being watched. RMC 3.01 does not recognize the current RTMPE stream played by HULU, but 3.02 does recognize it and reports as follows:

Internal error while trying to download RTMP stream
    Exception:
    m_nErrType = 11
    m_strDesc = "code: NetConnection.Connect.Rejected
    description: [ AccessManager.Reject ] : Must use RTMPE or RTMPTE on this connection"
    m_strFile = F:\proj32\TestRTMPClient\RTMPStreamRip.cpp
    m_nLineNumber = 969

The alternate program to RMC however looks at the flash playlist rather than the playing video and attempts to grab all streams. Hence it sees and grabs the non-playing and non-encrypted streams but is unable to grab the encrypted streams. This can be somewhat confusing since in the case of Mondays "24" episode, it grabs the RTMP 16:9 512x288 and the 700K 4:3 480x360 streams and rejects the RTMPE 16x9_24fps_H264_Medium, the 16x9_24fps_H264_650K and the 16x9_24fps_H264_400K RTMPE streams. However it is better to get everything than nothing.

This may be a design difference between the two programs but currently RMC canot grab the non-playing streams in the play list.

The previous post exactly matches my experiences with these 2 programs over the past week. I think jhb50's explanations make sense given what I have seen. This is the situation I was trying to describe earlier in the thread when I got crossways with the moderators.
    Last edited by seventree; 03-05-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Some days I am easily confused Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for some useful info, I'll let Andy know.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Default J***** records some netflix streaming movies too!

FYI
    J****** also can record some streaming movies from netflix. Movie (Transsiberian) was one of them.(Man on a wire) is another. Granted the DRM is still there and to play it windows media player wants your netflix user name and password.

I have noticed that it makes numerous extra downloads of the same stream so you have to cancel all the extra streams.

Hope this is useful info for all.
    Last edited by micromedia; 03-06-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewC1000 View Post
    It appears that Jaksta works on hide
    Just to caution other *cough* software testers like me. Maybe others have better experiences. But I jumped through the hoops at that site for the "free lifetime membership" allowing myself to believe I'd have access to some of the content shown. And then I could *ahem* try and record some of it. You know, for software testing.

The "free lifetime membership" content turned out to be JPEG's in a zip file. A new zip file every day. No movies were available for free viewing, um... software testing.

Weird, a free lifetime membership can't be cancelled. So whatever checking or credit card info given will remain with them on file until what I am worried about is a "sorry your account was charged for a bunch of movies, aparently someone guessed your password" event.

Just a note so others might not repeat my quality assurance testing mistake.

flvrec0r3r,

I just want to let you know how much we all appreciate you putting yourself out like that to test this site. For the greater good

I believe Andy's post at the start of this thread is misleading in saying that Hulu standard def files will record just fine in 3.02. Fact is that RMC only records what is played and HULU now plays only RTMPE versions of the files and even though the old RTMP Standard def files are there, they are no longer played by HULU so RMC does not record them.

Similarly the FAQ that states the old 3.01 will work if installed long ago is also out of date since it does not reflect the subsequent Adobe changes posted here by Andy that explain why it does not.

It would save a lot of confusion if the FAQ was brought up to date with this latest info.

Unless I am missing something the FAQ states: "If you've installed Replay Media Catcher 3.01 prior to January 28, 2009, no new plug-in downloads will occur unless you delete the old files on your PC." This still holds true. We are not forcing any updates to people who feel they want to hang on to the older version. It doesn't say that the older version will continue to work. It also states that we will no longer support the old plug-in. As for the post - Andy posted that when the standard def videos were still working - it wasn't meant to be misleading - it was true at the time. I went ahead and edited it, so there shouldn't be any more confusion.