Thread: Hulu Downloads (Certain Shows)

Default Hulu Downloads (Certain Shows)

A new show of Hell's Kitchen came out yesterday for the 13 chefs. I'm unable to download the video, but able to download all the other ones. What am I miss, or what do I need to add?

I had tried also along with Married.... With Children and nothing happens. Someone, please shine some light into this delimia I'm having, thanks.

Keep in mind the secure RTMP FAQ.

Anecdotally I have noticed sporadic recording is still available at Hulu. More often than not it's the lesser quality non-480p versions.

Yet ast night I recorded 1 Life and 1 24 in full AVC H.264 480p. I also noticed some type of userdata persistence that kicked in and shut down my ability to record anything at all after a few hours.

Nothing recordable today. I nuked Flash Cookies and browser cookies. Still zip. Then I cleared everything in Opera 9.63(?) cache using clear private data / all tick boxes, then new IP address and I'm back in business.

I've seen this before but never nailed it down. There was often talk of banning URL's and clients in Adobe forums and PPT presentations on the Web before legal action stopped RMC's abilities recently. So they (content providers) have looked at it.

/end anecdotal evidence

Providers know it is only a matter of time before another software company or independent developer (re)builds a Replay Media Catcher-like program or device capable of recording again. It's an arms race. Armament always defeats armor. Those are rules.

See Lifehacker and Boxee and Hulu. Read Hulu's blog about this. Hulu shut down Boxee and XboxMCE. Within 36 - 72 hours developers had worked around the problem and openly shared the secret sauce.

It has always been the content providers driving this bus. Content providers will carry partners on the bus until they no longer suit them and then content providers will throw partners under the bus.

So don't beat on Hulu or Adobe too much. And the content providers and in turn the ad agency media buyers or anotherbuyers are Hulu's customers, not end user viewers like us.

Married With Children being a Sony property will likely always have the latest measures in place.

MONK IS NOT WORKING.

BURN NOTICE IS NOT WORKING.

BLAH

Can it be so simple an explanation that only the most recent shows aren't recordable? It seems so from cpeterson...

And I was actually recording all of the older shows, filling in viewing gaps, until I had nothing left to record but the latest episodes. At that point, since "nothing" would record I figured Hulu was on to me and had done "something."

For dragonfang196, I did catch up on more than one Burn Notice today. All recorded fine except the most recent episode.

Monk is just sort of creepy so you are on your own there.

CREEPY! HOW DARE YOU.

just kidding

what i mean is, I always record:

Lie to Me, Burn Notice, Psych, and Monk.

Since only three were BN/P/M i tried to record all three.

Only P worked as of yesterday. I download them when they're new, so all previous BN have been acquired already, but current one doesn't work, same with monk.

If it is any consolation Tony Shaloub is OK by me. The range of acting from the head regenerating alien in MiB, to The Siege, to Monk is pretty remarkable.

Well our experience is mostly the same I think. I could record all but the most recent version of BN. I did catch the most recent episode, as of yesterday anyway, of L2M (1x03). I could not record most recent episode of Office or 30Rock. When I did try several times to record some shows that were the most recent episodes and could not be recorded, I eventually received a "this video is currently unavailable" (not 100% exact wording) message from Hulu.

This triggered my paranoia as since when I shut off RMC recording and reloaded that message page, the video would play OK. Of course it might have played OK just reloading the page. But I don't recall that happening.

Note to Hulu: I have dutifully watched the Philadelphia Cream Cheese ad so often I am really hungry. I want what that one chick describes as some cream cheese, raisins, and walnuts, spread into a halved and cored (hollowed out) apple. Will eat for videos.

In my experience I needed to stop logging in, and/or change my preferences away from 480p video (AVC H.264) as this is not recordable by me for most shows. The FREE streaming TV shows Applian tutorial indeed shows a 700K VP6 recording of BN. So maybe that's one thing to check preferences not set for 480p in a Hulu profile.

An exception to the 480p "hi=def" video exclusion rule was a recording from CC where the AVC H.264 video was 360p and AAC audio.

This reminds me of a month or so ago when the shows became slowly unavailable to RMC one-by-one. I could guess new shows are fed by new servers with new fan blocking and anti-viewer methods in place. And the old shows are served by old methods. But that sounds like silliness. Probably I need a thicker tin foil hat. And sunscreen.

Default getting hulu shows via fancast

I have had some success in the past few days by going to fancast.com for things like Monk, Dollhouse, & Burn Notice which stopped working with Media Catcher 3.0.1 on the Hulu site recently. However their streams are the ultra-low 480K only. FanCast serves Hulu content but their servers may be limited to that format.

In the past I have downloaded 700K native FLV files (not H.264) by selecting Watch Std-Res, but now that seems to produce a downsized h264 stream instead. In any case MC does not catch anything at all.

Apparently Hulu still provides the 480K and 700K streams for low-bandwith users. I say this because experimenting with the Jaksta eval version starts a download for all supported stream types simultaneously, although only 480K and 700K succeed; the more advanced ones error out.

The method in my madness is to convert old-style FLV files to an MPEG format that is SVCD-compatible, producing discs my TV can play.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfang196 View Post
    Lie to Me
    1x04 @ 700K is available to RMC today. When I make Hulu the last site to visit for content, and not the first, it seems to work out better for me.

I'm not sure who the site owner is or with whom they've cut deals but I find a lot of content available at http://www.fastpasstv.com/ works with RMC. Ads are more appropriate to the viewership it seems. I'm a little more in the market for GTA IV than Dove soap. I will stay away from the viewer and toolbar downloads though.