Thread: flv (conv wmv) - can't select video position

Default flv (conv wmv) - can't select video position

Used Media Catcher (demo) to record a livestream. The flv file it produced plays perfectly well with FLVPlayer and VLC but I cannot do fast forward or jump to any other point on the video (incidentally, file properties say duration is 00:00:00). I decided to convert it to another format. I have ********* Media Converter as well as Super so I tried using these 2 converters. ********* hangs after I try to load the flv file from Media Catcher (have to end app thru task manager). Super crashes as soon as I hit the encode button. So then I downloaded Replay Media Converter (demo) and used it to convert this 359MB file to a 546MB 'middle quality wmv' file (but I have to say, it was a very slow process - took almost 8 hours. I was wondering how long it would actually take so I just left the process running overnight). But, even though I am now able to play the wmv file using another media player I am still unable to position video to another point (file properties still shows 00:00:00 duration). Can somebody explain (in not too technical terms, please if possible...) what I did wrong, what the right way is, and perhaps some tips on 'fixing' the file I have now?

Quote Originally Posted by adg_034 View Post
    Used Media Catcher (demo) to record a livestream. The flv file it produced plays perfectly well with FLVPlayer and VLC but I cannot do fast forward or jump to any other point on the video
    Tools | Settings | Plug-in options. FLV Timestamp is set at 15 as default. It has been recomended to change this number to 500 for live streams.

FLV Metadata Injector may help with fast forward or seeking by adding some data to the original FLV you recorded. Make sure you make a copy of the original FLV before using FLMDI. By default it overwrites the original FLV.

The timestamp increment step may help in future recordings but not an existing recording.

FLMDI may help seek or FF in the original FLV you have already saved.

Neither of these steps will help with the already converted WMV file. Converting to another WMV with the FLV after using FLMDI on it will not help. FLMDI only helps playback (sometimes).

But someone else may have a suggestion on converting.
    Last edited by flvrec0r3r; 01-26-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add FLMDI info

Default great tip

Great tip flvrec0r3r. I was really surprised to find out that my flv's were not seekable.

If I had known Replay Media Catcher did not put meta-data in live streams, I would have not captured a 7 hour stream on Saturday.

I've tried the tool FLV MetaData Injector, and it works on smaller files <750MB. It doesn't zero-base the time on a live stream, so the starting point on the seek bar is far to the right for me.

(because I started capturing hours later than the original stream start.)

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    ... captured a 7 hour stream on Saturday.
    It doesn't zero-base the time on a live stream, so the starting point on the seek bar is far to the right for me
    The only tool I know that handles videos longer than 4 3/4 hours is Adobe's FLVCheck.

I realize that it doesn't help those who want to stay with flv but for lesser mortals like me who don't mind converting to wmv, Windows Media Encoder will insert time data.

Argel