Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Catcher - not capturing on Windows VISTA

Default Media Catcher - not capturing on Windows VISTA

Hello,
    I have Media Catcher...have the software on CD...It performs just fine on my desk top windows XP...no problem. Easy..

Just bought a new Dell Lap Top. Windows Vista.

Installation went in fine. However, it does not capture.

I operate the prgram the same as always... I click Record then open up the source (ie: You Tube) ....and it does not capture anything.

Is there anything I should do differently? any settings I should check? I have no third party anti virus software on my new computer that could be blocking it. Firewall is on, but it was also on my XP computer and wasnt a factor either.

Perhaps a patch or upgrade? Thanks for any feedback...

Close your browser
    Open media Catcher an click "Start Recording"
    In the upper left corner click "Record" and choose "Launch Default Browser"
    Navigate as normal - you should be able to capture without issue!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Please also be advised that the UAC (User Account Control) in Vista does also affect how RMC opperates. You can do one of the following to combat this issue:

1: Disable UAC, but this is not advised.

2: Right-click on RMC's shortcut, and click on "Run As Admistrator". This must be done each time you wish to launch RMC.

3: You can also right-click on RMC's shortcut, click on "Properties", then click on the "Compatibility" tab, then put a check in the box next to "Run this program as an administrator". Now you dont have to right-click on RMC's shortcut anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparMan View Post
    Please also be advised that the UAC (User Account Control) in Vista does also affect how RMC opperates. You can do one of the following to combat this issue:

1: Disable UAC, but this is not advised.

2: Right-click on RMC's shortcut, and click on "Run As Admistrator". This must be done each time you wish to launch RMC.

3: You can also right-click on RMC's shortcut, click on "Properties", then click on the "Compatibility" tab, then put a check in the box next to "Run this program as an administrator". Now you dont have to right-click on RMC's shortcut anymore.
    We do not advise people to turn off UAC. If you followed all of the prompts carefully when you installed this shouldn't be an issue. Try the advice i gave you earlier and let me know if you still have trouble!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha Heinlein View Post
    We do not advise people to turn off UAC.
    As I stated in my previous post, turning off UAC is not advised, but it is still an option, albeit not a bright one, my apologies....

If you followed all of the prompts carefully when you installed this shouldn't be an issue.
    True, but how many people actually read when they install something?

Default Hey tasha, its still not working :(

Hi, this is Jimmy, my screen name is iweberdudei and I was the original thread starter for the topic:

Media Catcher - not capturing on Windows VISTA

I saw that you exchanged a reply to another user (Moparman) and thats fine, but I have yet to respond to your suggestions...until now.

With that said, thanks for your replies.

I tried all of your suggestions (except disableing UAC) and still cannot get Media capture to record. As I stated in my original post, it installed fine on my Windows Vista computer, and it launches fine, but when I hit record, and then open up my source (youtube) it does not capture.

Ive tried Right-clicking on RMC's shortcut, and then clicked on "Run As Admistrator".

Also I tried right-clicking on RMC's shortcut, clicked on "Properties", then clicked on the "Compatibility" tab, then put a check in the box next to "Run this program as an administrator" to no avail.

I have yet to try turning off UAC, a feature that I actually think is annoying lol...Im not sure what it could be. Im thinking there is a check mark that shouldnt be checked somewhere or visa versa. Any other suggestions?

Its so frustrating...It worked beautifully on my Windows XP computer which I have retired and have migrated over to this lap top. Thanks again for your replies.

Jimmy M

Quote Originally Posted by MoparMan View Post
    True, but how many people actually read when they install something?
    Not enough!

Hi Jimmy,

Can you try capturing with Firefox and see if you have any luck using a different browser? I know we all have our preferred browser(s), but if you're open, give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

I agree with Tasha in all aspects...

1: Yes, UAC is annoying, but it is there for a reason, it is best to NOT disable it.
    2: Try a different browser. I recommend Firefox also (what I currently use for everyday browsing, and with RMC). It is alot more stable, alot more secure, and it handles streaming video alot better then Internet Explorer. Keep in mind, Firefox is not your only option, but from what I have tried, it more closely matches I.E. in layout then the others, so it will be an easy transition compared to the others. It also supports importing all your bookmarks from I.E., making it even easier to migrate to.

Also, make sure RMC has FULL access to the internet. RMC uses several resources to capture streaming video, and if even one is blocked, it could make the difference between working and not. Look through your firewall settings and make sure RMC (or any of its dependencies) are not blocked.

As a test, try turning off your firewall completely and see if it does work. If it does, then re-enable your firewall and check your allowed/blocked programs list.

Wink thanks

HEY THanks so much for teh advise ! I will try that.....you all have been great.

Hi Jimmy,

Can you try capturing with Firefox and see if you have any luck using a different browser? I know we all have our preferred browser(s), but if you're open, give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein