Thread: Log processed links

Default Log processed links

I noticed that Media Catcher captures the videos in a web page, displays the status of the transfer in the application itself, however after closing the application, that info is lost
    Is it possible to log that information? For example to get a xml/csv/whatever format file in which to store the original link, file name, status(download successful, failed, in progress), file size, date time when it started recording. Or does such option already exist?

Another thing, why the partial downloading files are kept in the storage dir, just like the finished downloading files? This is confusing because the user can't really know if the files in the folder were successfully transfered or not.

Thank you!

Hi George

Replay Media Catcher SHOULD auto tag recorded files. If you don't mind, Can you please provide me with the URL of the audio or video you're trying to record, so I can trouble shoot the issue?

Thanks.
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Smile

Try any youtube videoclip, the video gets downloaded, you can right click on it and get the original URI. Now let's say the clip downloaded successfully, and you close Media Catcher. Even if you start it again, the clip now longer appears in the list, so how can the original URI be retrieved in this case?

About the tags: how can they be read? From FLV player, click info button? If so, it doesn't show the original URI.

Another scenario: let's say you download a bigger clip, and you close Media Catcher before the download is finished. Start again Media Catcher and the clip is no longer there. How can you resume the download? How do you know which of the files in the Recordings folder stand for full clips, and which for partial ones?

Thank you,
    George

I think you'll get a better answer than this one dealing with a specific video URL if you can provide one. Some YouTube/Google videos are delivered in VP6, FLV, and MP4 now depending on when where and what.

The questions seem to revolve around closing Replay Media Catcher which results in data lost and mystery files remaining.

One suggestion I use is to not end recording activities by closing Replay Media Catcher. Essentially this means use Media Catcher as the file manager for downloaded files.

Everything is better handled by right-clicking files in the list in RMC. Right-clicking a file in progess gives the choice to stop and save, or delete recording.

Right clicking in the list gives the option of saving target URI to the clipboard. There's the URL you want although not in a log.

Partially downloaded files are identified by icon. A right-click allows deleting, renaming, or re-recording as a choice. Once you close RMC you are left with Windows Explorer as a file manager and that's where confusion starts.

Fully downloaded files may be tagged automatically if the file format container allows it. MP3 does. In either case, corrections and checking are best handled from withing RMC before closing RMC. Right-click and choose rename or edit tag info. Renaming the file, and tags that the container supports, will be available to view and check, or change.

For 100% correctness for now, tagging is a manual process. I think of the decade CDDB has been in operation and it still makes mistakes identifying and taging a CD that a gazillion people have ripped and queried. Still, the automatic querying MusicDNS works well sometimes.

Right-clicking in the list also allows clearing all recordings from the list, clearing all finished recordings from the list, and deleting all recordings in the list. So I

* Right click and tag/rename all finished recordings I want to save.
    * Right click and delete all finished recordings I don't want.
    * Choose clear all finished recordings from the list.

and now just junk is left, so

* Choose delete all recordings from the list
    If you just want to tidy up the list, chose clear all recordings from the list. Delete all recordings deletes the recorded file and removes it from the list. Both options should be used with caution.

Try using Tools | Settings and tick the box "Ask if it's OK to close the program" to remind you to check if everything is properly named and taged before closing.

Resuming a video in progress in RMC isn't possible now. No log is available that I am aware of. Some people, self included, prefer not to have one more log or cookie or history to clear for privacy's sake at the end of the day. There's a forum for suggestions for new features. Either might be options people want.

I can't recall if Tools | Settings | "Lookup, tag and rename files automatically" is the default? The feature seems it was grandfathered into my setup via updates/upgrades.

George, try making sure that tick box is ticked in Replay Media Catcher. When it is, you'll have a less trobles with file (re)naming.