Thread: Problem with hulu 480p downloads

Default Problem with hulu 480p downloads

Downloaded 480p videos from Hulu do not play correctly. In VLC, the audio drops out every few seconds. The KMPlayer will not play them at all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or found a solution?

Thanks!

OK, yes this is common for me too. VLC cannot always play a 480p file I have downloaded from Hulu with RMC.

FFPlay (the FFMPEG component built from SVN-r15216) will always play the files I have downloaded. So that is a solution of sorts. Very likely MPlayer can also play the files. Occasionally MPlayer cannot seek in a file. One drag of the slider and sometimes MPlayer stops responding.

Occasionally for me FFMPEG cannot convert a downloaded 480p flv with 44.1 KHz AAC audio. Yet extracting the audio from the file is possible with VLC player. But VLC cannot actually play the file.

This almost has to be the peculiarities of the FLV container. It *might* be the way RMC saves the file. It is a minor miracle the file can be saved at all. I believe these videos were by design not intended to be saved to disc.

Remultiplexing of a saved FLV's AVC H.264 video and AAC audio streams into a Matroska container and VLC plays it perfectly. And of course VLC will play an FLV file created by FLV file authoring programs. Hardly a trick there I guess.

I am not making this up. HTH.

Hi--

Thanks for your informative reply.

Sure enough, FFMPEG crashes when I attempt to demux the .FLV.

I see that VLC has a Convert function, but I see no way to remux and repackage without reencoding.

Do you know of anything that will demux/mux these FLVs?

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Replay Converter 3.2 will convert the MKV file derived from this method. VLC will play the MKV file.

After using the method on the other post, in Replay Converter 3 click "+ Add Files" and choose BSLAP.MKV. The use the "Choose a Target Format" combo-box at the bottom to ratchet around and choose "ADD MORE VIDEO FORMATS" then choose the "MPEG-2 (DVD-NTSC USA)) HIGH QUALITY." Converting to another format than MPEG-2 may cause a loss in aspect ratio (squished from 16:9 to 4:3).

Start with a small file of a Saturday Night Live skit just to see if you can do it. After the SNL skit FLV file is downloaded with Replay Media Catcher, rename it BSLAP.FLV

In the Code sections of the other post replace HEAD_OVER_HEELS with BSLAP. Now we are working with a 2-minute file instead of a 2-hour movie.

As you do this, in the command window a rapidly scrolling "[mp4 @ XXFEXXBE] pts has no value" is normal.