Thread: BBC iPlayer file formats

Default BBC iPlayer file formats

Using the latest version of RMC 6 and Windows 10 Home Edition.

Settings are to be prompted for Download Format and Quality

Scenario 1.

Start RMC and select the Auto option.
    Open Browser (IE or Edge doesn't matter)navigate to BBC iPlayer site and to Programme I want to watch.
    Press play - programme starts playing in Browser. In RMC window I am prompted to select the file quality I want to download. The only list of options are FLV files.

Scenario 2.

Start RMC but do NOT select auto.
    Open Browser (IE or Edge doesn't matter)navigate to BBC iPlayer site and to Programme I want to watch.
    Do NOT press Play - instead Copy the URL of the programme and Paste into RMC (address box at top of Home page under the Auto button). Press the download arrow at the right of that box.
    In RMC window I am now prompted to select the file I want to download but this time I don't see any FLV files but only MP4 (there is also an option to select an M4A audio only file).

Why I am not offered these options in scenario 1?
    Why am I not offered the option of downloading FLV files in scenario 2?

BTW for a one hour programme in HD the MP4 file seems to be nearly twice as big as the FLV file.

Mike

Default Re: BBC iPlayer file formats

You are capturing using different methods and it is looking at different items on the website. That is why you are offered different options under the different methods. Also, a reason we do have different methods. Each file is at a different bitrate and format so that is why the file size is different. I might add we are seeing a lot less .flv files lately and more .mp4 files. I personally believe the industry is leaning this way now.